iNaturalist Still Inaccessible to Screen Reader Users

Thanks for this! iOS normally takes care of providing a default label for buttons, using the text of the button label, but in this case either it’s not showing up or more likely, I’m using an image or an icon and not providing alternative text. Another possibility is that we’ve got a tap gesture installed on a ui element that isn’t normally a button, so that element is intended to work like a button but iOS doesn’t realize that and so doesn’t install the accessibility labels for us.

We have a release coming up to fix a few bugs, and I’ll delay that release by a day or two so I can quickly audit and fix as many of these issues as I can find and incorporate those fixes into the next release.

I have a few questions about the specific ones you mentioned:

When you say there is an unlabelled button in / next to each observation, do you mean in the “My Observations” tab where your observations are shown, or in the Explore observations where others observations can be found? And did you mean in the list view, where multiple observations can be scrolled, or in the observation detail view, where details about a specific observation are found?

Also, in the search box, which search box did you mean? I ask because many screens in the app provide search, for example: search for observations/taxa/people/etc on the explore tab, taxa search for observations, location for observation details, projects search, guide search, etc. If you can help me narrow it down it’ll help me get it fixed faster.

On the details screen for an observation with sound, you can tap on the sound icon (where a photo would be for a photo observation) and it should open the iOS native sound player UI. However, if you haven’t noticed that, chances are I missed another accessibility label on a button with an icon, so I’ll fix that too. Apologies.

No worries, but yep we’re working on a new mobile app. The announcement was made here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-mobile-app-development-news/27157 I’ll let someone from that project speak to their priorities and accessibility plans, since I’m not really involved in it.

9 Likes