Include Indian Reservations (Communities, Rancherias, Pueblos) as Places

Asking curators to set your listed species to obscured in those places?

1 Like

The other side of the coin is that for conservation puposes, the places where they actually have official recognition are the places where they can most directly implement their conservation policies.

1 Like

I live in an area with many tribal lands and governments and while I do almost no biological surveying on these lands, on occasion I’ve been able to get photos of wildlife within those lands. In general I opt not to post those on iNat to avoid possible complications with my job. Publicly releasing location data can be a sensitive issue for many tribes, not to mention taking photos in certain areas on tribal lands.

3 Likes

I should add that every tribe/Pueblo is different in its policies, culture, sensitivities, etc. What might be a non-issue for one could be important to another. Each is a sovereign entity. So any approach by iNat in terms of data can’t be a one size fits all.

2 Likes

The Navajo Nation has their own list of rare plants that I believe is unique to reservations in our area given the relatively large amount of land. One of the things I enjoy most about New Mexico is diversity of culture.

3 Likes

and also a Natural Heritage program same as many states and other entities.
https://www.nndfw.org/nnhp/nnhp_home.htm

2 Likes

Not to mention their own National Park – I’ll use that term in recognition of them as a Nation.

Chaco?

I was thinking of Monument Valley. But on that website, you can see from the dropdoewn that there are actually five such parks.