Informative Unknowns

Since it’s possible for most people to do at least a very high level ID on most observations in the world, I feel like identifying Unknowns in places you haven’t been to or don’t visit often is in some ways a bit like traveling to those locations. you get a little peek at what lives there (and who, too).

i’ve been surprised that i’m often able to identify plants halfway around the world quite effectively because they are invasive (or cultivated) either here or there.

i’ve been surprised at how different the species in relatively nearby places can be if you just change the amount of water or the altitude, and i’m surprised at how similar the species in faraway places can be if they otherwise have relatively similar environmental factors.

10 Likes

Placeholder … wait wait, what did it say? Sigh.

My reviewed is many, many dead fish and ‘edible’ marine life. Unsee.

2 Likes

…wait, what?
I have learned (in keeping with the theme) that if I immediately withdraw my ID, the placeholder returns (before someone else comes along and IDs)

5 Likes

44 posts were split to a new topic: Use of “It’s as good as it can be” in the DQA

But sometimes sasquatch stays out of sight. It is unpredictable. Click click click double sigh.

2 Likes

One needs to be fast to catch a Sasquatch…

2 Likes

Waiting for the phylogenetic tree of Sasquatch, Yeti, and the Florida Skunk Ape.

1 Like

This is why all the photos are grainy: it takes good (heavy) gear to take a quality photo, so because of its speed, only folks who have light gear can keep up the chase and capture any observations whatsoever.

2 Likes

Someone just needs to whistle or hum some sasquatch noises and we are duty bound to believe it.

2 Likes

I kind of knew, but not enough to avoid the mistake. :grimacing:

• I have discovered that IDing is a way of learning.
  • I recognize regional experts and high volume IDers
  • Unknowns are a bit addictive, especially my local ones. I get excited when I see those.
3 Likes

I still vividly remember my first “unknown” identification session. I had just discovered all the filters for the Identify window and how to limit to a location and unknowns only, and got really excited and thought to myself: “Well, I should be able to do iNat a service and clear all the unknowns for my state and give them at least a kingdom ID!”

Several reality checks followed. First, I quickly realized that was too many pages and narrowed it to county level… Second, I then realized there were a lot that were truly unidentifiable (e.g. too dark, too blurry, mysterious stuff that I wasn’t sure which kingdom it even belongs to if it was life at all), or just not what iNat was for (e.g. rocks and clouds). Not to mention all the observations with multiple photos of different things that look easy to ID at first until you discover the additional pictures.

I got very discouraged until I discovered I could get those to disappear from my personal Needs ID queue by checking them “reviewed.” I know this doesn’t remove them from the Needs ID pool for anyone except for me, but at that point I switched from the “doing IDs as a service to clear the pool” idea (realizing this would be an impossible goal) to the “doing IDs for personal fun and education” idea. I no longer stress about things that I would find frustrating to deal with - I just mark “reviewed” and move on.

7 Likes

Was reminded of another thing I learned from IDing unknowns:

• When specializing in IDing a specific branch, like plants, I miss the insect, frog, bug, etc. that the observer clearly has in focus/in the middle. Obviously, they really want to know what plant it is and the animal is blocking the view…

I’m not sure what to call this, maybe plant-colored glasses, from the expression rose-colored glasses. I’m not sure if this happens mostly with strictly plant identifiers or not since plants are often just backgrounds for animal observations.

2 Likes

Meanwhile I am battling with a birder who takes award-winning pictures of The Bird.
But the obs is for - so what’s that plant he’s sitting on?

I do appreciate if the observer tells us up front - this obs is for

3 Likes

I mentioned this elsewhere but…

I was surprised that 80% or more of unknowns in my area are plants.

I was surprised to discover that I have very little interest in IDing things that don’t have legs or leaves, especially blobby or slimy things that could be molds or fungi or jellyfish or seaweed, etc.

1 Like

Back to - what did I learn
Fascinated by this mud wasp, who builds pebbles into her nest.
Surely she can’t fly with them? She must drag them across the ground, as our spider wasps do with their paralysed rain spider.

3 Likes

The opposite would be:

“Plant Blindness” and iNaturalist

3 Likes

NB: Many posts/comments split off to a new thread on use of DQA: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/use-of-its-as-good-as-it-can-be-in-the-dqa/39279

Did my best.

4 Likes

If there are multiple species, then obviously the lack of a community taxon cannot be improved.

@jasonhernandez74 @jeanphilippeb Please use the new thread linked above for additional conversation about the DQA.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.