Inventing common names redux

No problem. I like to exchange opinions and learn from others.
I’ll argue that it is not Humpty-Dumptyism. Firstly, it is my opinion (I tried to express this by “I’d say”) and I do non insist that this is the correct meaning of the words. Secondly, I think there is no definition of “common name” provided by iNat as we agreed in the last few comments so there is no objective way to decide whether your case is

iNat guidelines - and this is just my hypothesis - were likely written to limit the power that iNat users have to create common names. Substantial proportion of iNat users (at least those reading iNat forums on this topic) thinks that iNat users should be able to invent new common names (see e.g. the most liked posts in https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/common-names-invented-on-inat/27452) so without guidelines discouraging this activity, we would be likely seeing a lot of creativity in common names on iNat - for the better or worse. I think that taking a suggestion from a research paper does not fulfill what iNat calls “creating new names by iNat user”. I also think that if an iNat user invents a common name by herself/himself without reading or hearing it elsewhere - even a good one - it fulfills what iNat asks not to do. It does not matter whether the name is good or bad, the vague iNat guideline is in my eyes an effort to implement some control over common names without building additional control features and loading additional work on curators.

6 Likes