Is this preferred or not?

Here’s an observation of a wild plant in a tray of seedlings:

https://uk.inaturalist.org/observations/57625564

At the time I observed it it was not cultivated (can a plant be captive?) because I didn’t sow the seed, it arrived there through natural means and it wasn’t “an organism that exists in the time and place it was observed because humans intended it to be then and there.”

2 Likes

idk man, if I saw that I would probably mark it as captive/cultivated and ask the observer (in this case, you) for information, which would then lead me to fix my vote! So, in the end I think we can all agree that context matters. Let’s solve this discussion there; if anyone else would like to chime in or start a different question in this topic please do.

1 Like

No, if it grew on its own, it’s wild.

2 Likes

Your arrogance is remarkable. Wouldn’t it occur to you to ask before arbitrarily changing my observation?

1 Like

Captive is for animals - pets, exotic pets, farm animals.
Cultivated for plants - nature didn’t put it there, I did (or some person or persons unknown)
That is in iNatese.

If I have an obs on iNat for a plant in my garden - I will leave a note - volunteered not planted.

When we ID from a photo, we can only go on pot (or obvious garden setting) = cultivated. Unless you tell us otherwise.

PS I see you agree with me. And did exactly that! This plant is Wild, not cultivated.

3 Likes

I didn’t see the description in the observation, that changes the outlook, obviously. Calling me arrogant is unappreciated and undeserved, I’m trying my best here.

Thanks for the details Diana, much more helpful.

I requested we stop this conversation, and I’m going to enforce that upon myself now as I don’t believe anything else good is coming out of us bickering.

2 Likes

To go back to the original question - find your sweet spot on iNat - what you can ID or annotate, and what you enjoy in adding value to an obs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.