Is very vaguely categorising helpful at all?

Keep doing it if you find it fun, because it is helpful! Yes, people do monitor birds, or insects or salamanders or snakes. The various plant categories or fungi can take longer because there are so many records, but you’ll have filed something properly for when someone is ready to come across it.

Lately, even turning Unknown into Life if you can’t figure out if something is say, a plant vs a fungus, is somewhat more helpful, because people have been looking through that ranking a little more, eg this example: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/state-of-matter-life-clean-up/3556 so that someone there could maybe move the mystery forward a little farther.

I became hooked on id’ing from the coarsest level listings (unknown/life) because I get a survey of interesting things to learn about that are varied (I love birds but I would actually get bored if I only went through those). Plus, the really weird stuff often ends up there and it’s fun to see how those get worked out- and then learn more about the really weird things. (Who knew I’d end up wanting to study slime molds? But they are so beautiful as well as mysterious.)

After a year of doing this, my id’s in some areas are gradually getting slightly less basic. That would probably happen for you as well if you keep rolling!

22 Likes