Lack of Annotations?

Annotations are currently available in Android. Right now we’re working on building a brand new app from scratch - I can’t say whether it will have annotation functionality on initial release, but it’s something we’re considering.

3 Likes

Hey, if everyone did 10 we’d be done in no time!

3 Likes

I try to add these, but I would be much more consistent if they were in the observation box instead of in the lower right text. It can be a struggle to upload media sometimes (internet issues), and by the time I’m done with that I just forget.

I also feel a bit intrusive adding these to other people’s observations. Thanks for this thread. I will do so with abandon from here out. No idea why I feel that way. I’m always grateful when people catch my omissions.

2 Likes

This would be me (not aware of this function). Like most here I’m always sitting on a big backlog of photos to upload and the irony is, I don’t participate very much b/c of my job (long hours). But in the future I will try to remember to go back and take a look to see if there’s something of value I can add (I can certainly see adding lepidoptera stage, that sort of thing).

3 Likes

I also think the process of going back to your observations to add annotations is annoying and could be done better.
As you i add annotations to other observations. I usually do it systematically in my region so i can at least handle these. I normally do it in winter when there isnt that much to find outside.
For my own observations i usually add annotations when someone adds an ID to it. Like that my research quality data always get annotations too.

3 Likes

I do it right after I upload a batch of observations and it’s quite quick if you use the Identify page.

1 Like

Annotating is quick when you use the Identify feature. But it’s a separate step that lots of people don’t do when uploading. Being able to annotate when uploading photos would be better, I think. But not a very big deal because annotating isn’t all that big a deal.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to say it shouldn’t be available upon upload, just that annotating one’s own observations after posting them can be pretty quick. I use this bookmark, insert your own username where tiwane appears.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch%2Ccasual&user_id=tiwane

3 Likes

True. Annotating can go fast. I use Identify to do it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.