Land Planarians

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=table&taxon_id=64222&user_id=mira_l_b&verifiable=any

I have the invasive wandering broadheaded planarian in my garden. So only half cool ;)

1 Like

Yes, I suppose the novelty would wear off.

Oh no! I’m just grumpy at their invasion. How can the novelty of a creature so strange ever wear off!?!

2 Likes

Jeepers! Those are very odd looking critters (eyebrows up!)

2 Likes

I had the urge to flip over firewood logs and large stones in my garden after it snowed this week. I ended up finding several B. kewense individuals despite never having seen them there before. Not sure if this was due to the (very wet) snow or because I was on the lookout after reading this thread, but still pretty cool (though not for the earthworms, I suppose)

3 Likes

These are no land planarians but Onychophora. I saw one of these only once in Ecuador (unfortunately no picture, though) but I always loved them coming up in lectures. Cute ones.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a hammerhead one - only 10 records of Bipaliinae on iNat for Australia so they don’t seem to be very common here. Most of the Geoplanidae I find are nocturnal after rain so hiding under logs and rocks during the day. Some of the ones in more arid areas “hibernate” under there until the next rains. But I guess their soft, moist bodies are physically slug-like so expect to see them where and when you see slugs.

2 Likes

I found this really cool YouTube video about hammerhead worms. Some of them are a LOT more spectacularly colorful than the invasive ones most of us get to see.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.