LGBTQIA+ and iNaturalist

This is the thread for LGBTQIA+ naturalists. I specifically revived it to talk about how to respect trans people. I don’t think announcing you’re not going to use my pronouns is a post that belongs here.

Using my pronouns is not difficult. Especially if you’re not likely to talk about me in the first place.

You could have just not said anything at all, since I assume you do not go around talking about me all the time. But straight up telling me and everyone else here that you’re not going to use my pronouns is not okay, that is in fact transmisic (bigotry against trans people, snynonymous with transphobia, but using the suffix for hatred rather than fear) and exorsexist (bigotry against nonbinary people in particular. Exor meaning “outside” as in outside the gender binary. I’m even defining these terms so no one can say I expect them to memorize them all).

And it’s not in fact a “generational issue”. Trans and nonbinary people have always existed, even when you were a kid. Lots of them are the same age you are, and even older.

Personal refusal to respect people’s pronouns cannot be blamed on your generation when your generation also has trans and nonbinary people. Trans people have always existed. We weren’t invented in 2010.

It is your personal responsibility to be a better person than the society that raised you.

12 Likes