Limiting and scheduling large taxonomy ancestry changes

Hi folks, the changes described here have been deployed. Specifically:

1. warnings on editing taxa with >1000 obs on or downstream of the taxon
  2. different warning on committing taxon changes with >1000 obs on or downstream of any of the input taxa
  3. only staff or relevant taxon curators can edit certain parts of a taxa (e.g. ancestries) with >200k obs on or downstream of the taxon
  4. only staff or relevant taxon curators can commit taxon changes with >200k obs on or downstream of any of the input taxa

So if you want to do 3 and don’t have permissions, please flag the taxon and mention me or a relevant taxon curator

If you want to do 4 and don’t have permissions, you can still make the draft but mention me or a relevant taxon curator

Taxon curators: even though you have permissions, please hold off on 3 or 4 until we’ve had a chance to touch base. I’m going to try to get some general guidance to post here, and also reach out to you individually.

the Vespoidea are all still corrupted by the bug that is now fixed, but we still haven’t fixed the corrupting. We’re still trying to find a way to speed up reindexing the millions of obs effected by this bug before it was fixed

10 Likes