Lock taxon photos of some common domesticated animals?

I know. But iNat changed the default to RG - and I will only use those myself.
That means that these ‘trolls’ are deliberately choosing NOT to use RG photos. Why?? Flag for curation.

Perhaps it needs to default to - you CAN only use RG photos for the taxon.

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/default-to-research-grade-photos-in-the-taxon-photo-chooser/9424

1 Like

There’re taxa with 100% right id but no expert to agree with it or expert is the one uploading them, it’s better if they will have any picture than none and it can always be changed later with more observations. And talking about cats, there’re tons of RG dead cats, so if one want to set them as taxon photo, they will be able to.

I’m not really a fan of locking taxon photos because it would affect users who largely are not responsible for this. I also think it potentially would start a cascade situation that would result in large parts of the tree being locked down (i.e. Well, I cannot troll iNatters with a dead photo on Felis catus, but Genus Felis is fully open!). This is why Every parent taxon from Homo sapiens onward cannot have their photos changes.

I think the real issue that should be addressed is that iNaturalist does not really have an intuitive way to see who edit what on Taxon Pages, which makes it hard to identify vandals. Most users and curators are doing a good job, I think.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.