Managing offensive common names

Very true. Well said.

1 Like

Some species have dozen of common names, not only in English but in other language as well. Way back, I had a litterature review to do on Vaccinium vitis-idaea, which has over 20 common names in English only and its fair share in French as well. The only way for me to know for sure the Finns, the Newfounlanders, the Quebecers, the Acadians etc… were studying the same plants was the latin name. On the other hand, vernacular names are important when you talk to local non scientific people about the plants. The best info you get is from gardeners, farmers, loggers, hunters etc. so vernacular names are important as well, but in the context you do your field work. It is easier to not be offended than changing how locals have called an organism for generations.

6 Likes

No, there’re clearly rude and offensive names, each plant has many names, so no problem in using one and not the other.

3 Likes

My dad used to tell me this as a kid. “You’re only insulted if you choose to be insulted.”

I’m neutral on the situation, I don’t care either way, I mostly go by scientific names anyway when it comes to organisms beyond vertebrae’s.

7 Likes

Edited by request

In South Africa the k-word (not sure if that can mean anything to anyone on either side of the great pond?) is as offensive as the n-word in the USA.

This was once known as kaffirboom.
Now it is coral tree. The binomial remains.
http://pza.sanbi.org/erythrina-caffra

5 Likes

Sociology versus botany back in 1991

https://www.the-scientist.com/opinion-old/racist-relics-an-ugly-blight-on-our-botanical-nomenclature-60358

3 Likes

I think names that could cause offence by referencing a nationality, but are widely used (such as indian paintbrush, mexican hat)should stay, as many people will be confused if they don’t come up on a search, but actual slurs in the name are different, what is even the point of a common name if it is too offensive to actually use?

6 Likes

I have opinions, fairly strong on this issue. But it is much easier to say, I’m glad to be 68 years old and to not have to worry about it in 50 years from now. Recent US politics show there is no easy solution to offending someone; I’m not condoning anyone’s actions. It is like my professor, Dr. Edwin B. Smith said, “I’m going to use Compositae until I die. Someone else can call it Asteraceae if they like.” Some plants will always be in the genus Aster or Eupatorium for me. It is just too complex to learn the new names. I’d get rid of some offensive names and keep others. However, it is like we said in the Regional Office of the US Forest Service. “The higher you go in the organization, the more you realize ‘I’m not in charge of everything.’” So, for me, I will let others sort this out!

4 Likes

Words that may be offensive in some cultures or situations may not be in others.Trying to impose the “dominant” or “superior” view of what is offensive and what is not onto other people is in itself offensive. Dismissing the concerns of certain cultures or groups of people as to what is offensive, while upholding and encouraging the concerns of other groups of people (without a legitimate basis) is just wrong. That is why the key factor in this issue should be intent, and NOT simply whether some people have decided to take offense to something.

6 Likes

Problem with common names is that they are not standardized and quite a few species have several common names varying geographically. So my Diver is your Loon, or vice versa for example. Use common names but also append the scientific name is best practice.

2 Likes

One of my students was given a cutting of her grandmother’s ‘wandering jew’ plant. I can’t remember if she misheard the name or just creatively changed it, but she was very proud to show me a picture of her ‘wandering dude’.

16 Likes

@Sedgehead – I’m kind of with you on this. One can really get lost down the rabbit hole on this discussion, or the other thread regarding images that include the “OK” symbol, or even the one on the common name of the common flesh fly (!). Life is full of situations where the solutions are unsatisfactory to some or many or perhaps everyone. But as controversies go, these are tempests in teapots.

5 Likes

Very true!

The hard part for me is when I use a great local plant book, many species have many common names, and it seems like most of the time, the common name is different on iNaturalist.

So, it throws me off, and I wish I could customize the common name displayed to my liking.

4 Likes

What on earth is wrong with the flesh fly?

Sounds like a feature request to me.

Plants too. Pinus sabiniana (Gray Pine/ Foothills Pine) used to be known a “Digger Pine”, which was a racial slur toward some of the Native People of California. That name has now been retired.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity where is the racism in Digger pine? Did natives dig? or umm i just can’t see a correlation then again i don’t know anything of the natives of California.

2 Likes

It’s a slur towards groups referred to derogatively as ‘Digger Indians’ (dug for tubers, etc for food)

7 Likes

As @thebeachcomber said.

If you’re interested, the following is a pretty good opinion piece about inherent racism in certain common botanical names (it may have already been posted earlier):

Racist Relics: An Ugly Blight On Our Botanical Nomenclature

7 Likes