Missing Location Accuracy data?

Thanks, I linked to your comment and voted for location accurate.

4 Likes

All of my androids do, you just have to turn on the extra permission.

You can only work with the data you have, accuracy and the assumption that most folks do their best to be as accurate as possible. If you have a user with bad methods it will hopefully show up in your analysis and you can punt the user from your dataset.

do you have an example of an observation where this was captured in the photo metadata?

yes. so if you do this kind of analysis, why do you even need an accuracy value?

I only have “Location accuracy Google” setting, but its description is different from adding accuracy, it says it uses Internet and WiFi amd works with Google Maps, so I found out why my GPS works that unusual way, but my geotags have no accuracy data.

I can’t find it on my Android to add a geotag accuracy to mt photos, but accuracy should be in the Geotag ‘GPSHPositioningError’
https://groups.google.com/g/inaturalist/c/IPQEKOj3J58/m/8m2DqkRRCAAJ

(looks it is added to photo’s with an Exif tool and I did not find an Android app to geotag my photos with GPSHPositioningError on Android. Google ‘‘GPSHPositioningError, Android jpg camera app’’ and it does not give an answer)
The current Android app iNaturalist seems to support the tag GPSHPositioningError. If I add with the ExifTool the tag GPSHPositioningError and upload this jpg with the webuploader or the Android app in both cases an accuracy value pops up…

is any Android phone’s stock camera app actually adding a horizontal positioning error (or anything equivalent) to its photo files? i just skimmed the thread you referenced, and it doesn’t look obvious to me that anyone actually is using their Android phone’s camera app to capture / record accuracy values.

I wouldn’t be able to tell which is which in my observations as I use both devices. If the weather breaks I can go take an observation of something, will send you the observation afterwards.

Because its a filter I can use to clean up the data.

More likely the other way around. Periodically, I look at the observations located at 0 degrees latitude, 0 degrees longitude, and DQA all the terrestrial ones. No, I do not think that oak trees grow in the middle of the Gulf of Guinea.

2 Likes

If you have a photo tagged with GPSHPositioningError, the website-uploader as well as the Android-iNaturalist-app handles the photo correctly. The problem is an Android camera app that tags the photo with GPSHPositioningError.

@ksanderson You have an example observation with a photo which is tagged by a camera app with GPSHPositioningError.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.