Most amazing accurate machine IDs

I’m learning my regional moths, and iNat usually gets them right away. I check against other sources, but it’s suggestions are usually right on.

2 Likes

AI learned hoopoe wing pattern and color, from good pics. And with second example it’s sometimes pretty good with hawks, in the end it will learn proportions of all species of birds of prey.

2 Likes

… I agree to what @susanhewitt says on moths. My experience was that it dramatically improved from last year to this year. There are a number of species which I had to type in last year, and in 2020 they are suggested by the system. That’s good!

I also noticed that, surprisingly, the system fails for moths with clear and simple designs, e.g., neotropical Arctiinae which are black with very simple white stripes. On the other hand, very complex coloring patterns are surprisingly well identified, like some European Boarmiini species which are just grey in grey!

Finally, a funny one, show it a blurry photo of a Buddleja flower and it may come up suggesting some of the common butterflies / hawk moths usually found on it! ;-)

6 Likes

Counterexample: no good suggestion for this case, despite the specific pattern.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/64145929

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.