Mycelial networks and the "mushroom ball" carbon sink . Plausible?

I’ve emailed VERRA to see if they’ll make a media statement regarding NetZero before the close of the Kickstarter. We’ll see what happens.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will be very interested to see what they respond.

Here is what I received from Anne Thiel with Verra:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your email.

Verra has a methodology approval process that offers project developers a pathway for building new methodologies when no existing methodology addresses their needs. In 2019, Verra engaged with the developers of the NetZero Mycelium Balls when they submitted a concept note to develop a methodology that quantifies soil carbon sequestration resulting from mycelium inoculation.

While Verra has reviewed the concept note, we did not vet this specific product (emphasis mine). Our review concluded that the scope of Verra’s existing methodologies would allow for mycelium inoculation activities, as long as the users can demonstrate that mycelium inoculation would not have any negative impacts. Please note that Verra’s methodologies have rigorous requirements and guidance on the quantification of soil organic carbon sequestration.

6 Likes

PLEASE report the kickstarter with this information, they keep claiming they were vetted so they straight up LIED

24 hours to go before its over and they have amped up the advertisements dramatically

3 Likes

I not only reported the Kickstarter, but I reached out to Dr. Stephany Mason, who’s mentioned repeatedly on the NetZero Kickstarter and asked her to clarify what was meant by “verified.” She replied as follows:

“That is correct. The concept was verified, not the NetZero product itself. I am no longer involved with this project and recommend reaching out to Joseph Kelly if you have additional questions.”

I also passed on that information to Kickstarter as well.

4 Likes

@leptonia i saw your comments on the kickstarter… what did they say that got removed for violating guidelines? :o

2 Likes

So incredibly tired of these guys’ mycologically illiterate rhetoric.
“And by “mycologist” you mean people who study above ground mushrooms which are decomposers and not ectomyrhizhal species which are under the ground and have a long history of research documenting their carbon capturing networks?”
Apparently people who study saprotrophs don’t know anything about carbon storage nor what ectomycorrhizal fungi are.

6 Likes

Rebranding from NetZero? Here is the new website as Biological Carbon Capture Labs.

3 Likes

they also have this website thats… the exact same thing?

https://www.netzeroco2project.com/

3 Likes

Appreciate the warnings and heads up for such bogus schemes.

1 Like

Strange.
Latest update: “We have been approached by venture capitalists and big chains to carry our products (even Shark Tank reached out) but that will be a long, slow process. So, order today!”
Will be interested to see whether I see more from these guys in the future.

2 Likes

That statement is on the same level as mycelial spores! Sounds like what MLM seller would say.

4 Likes

Actually many epigeous fungi are ectomycorrhizal. Chanterelles, Boletes and Russulaceae for example. Granted there are many hypogeous fungi that are ectomycorrhizal and do not produce fruitbodies.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I told him. :smile:
My response:
“Many “above ground mushrooms” are ectomycorrhizal e.g. Suillus, Cortinarius, Lactarius, Russula and many more. I am aware that some mycorrhizal fungi can contribute to carbon storage through different mechanisms (melanized hyphae, Gadgil effect, etc.) and have read the Clemmensen paper you reference. As a study based on a unique system of old-growth boreal forest that escapes disturbance for centuries or millennia, I am skeptical that it is very relevant to suburban lawns. I am not questioning that mycorrhizal fungi are involved in carbon storage, I am questioning whether your product is able to leverage them in the remarkable way you claim. Again, maybe one of your dozen scientists should respond as you apparently do not know what ectomycorrhizal fungi are.”

7 Likes

Well, folks, here’s the update:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/scammer-magic-mushrooms-climate-change-netzero

18 Likes

wow. that guy is a demon. im so sorry you had to go through that, but thank you

7 Likes

yikes! thank you for standing up for science, and I’m sorry this guy is so awful. Hope he rots in jail a long time.

10 Likes

yikes at the comments on the article, reeks of more fake accounts made by Kelly

4 Likes

where do you see comments?

Right at the bottom of the article there’s a button to view comments (only seems to be there for desktop though, not on phone)