Naturalists ruin everything - what have you ruined for your friends?

My bird book is wrong also! I wonder if me and @That_Bug_Guy have the same book. Lol!

1 Like

“Uh, actually, the possum isn’t a tick vacuum, the study that claimed this was flawed… but you should still totally think possums are awesome! Please!”

7 Likes

As originally used though, the expression has a connotation of an attraction to something potentially harmful. Shakespeare captured this sense of the moth metaphor in The Merchant of Venice:
Portia
Thus hath the candle singed the moth
O, these deliberate fools, when they do choose,
They have the wisdom by their wit to lose.

2 Likes

With better planning by developer and government on where those are build (E.G. bat colonies location & bird migration route) I am sure some of those lost could be reduce significantly, but unfortunately, it will still happen at time.

1 Like

It didn’t. The Garden of Eden didn’t contain diseases. Sickness, disease, death, and other bad things did not happen until after Adam and Eve sinned.

3 Likes

My point was that the tropical rainforests are not actually the Eden I had thought they were.

1 Like

When I point out that the milkweed sold at the big box store is not native and probably not even labeled correctly. Asclepias curassavica (Tropical milkweed) is often labeled as Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly milkweed). People just want to provide food for the monarchs, but in Florida the Tropical milkweed doesn’t die back through the winter. This causes severe problems with OE infestations of our local monarchs.

6 Likes

I ran out of free articles so I can’t read it. How did the myth get started? How did they really end up introduced to the US?

Try accessing the article in incognito mode.

Tried. Didn’t work.

1 Like

Tim Minchin has a nice sketch about that… complete with a line about memory water with poo in it. link is to the youtube with it, he is a British comedian

That said i dont really try to dissuade folk if they feel benefit unless its a close friend being taken advantage of or such. Placebo effect is a legit effect - its why it has to be accounted for in studies - and if theyve tricked themselves into feeling better i dont get my jollies off of ruining that.

1 Like

Tim always cracks me up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Children’s books are an endless source of things to correct for naturalists. My 4yr old came home from school with a new book about whales yesterday and loved all the pictures of sea life. I suggested the illustrator failed the test when it came to the sea urchins though. Artistic licence only gets you so far…

6 Likes

There’s definitely some sea urchins that look like that.

Sea urchins with a variable number of rays, 5 to 7? Not to mention the fins on the seahorse.

2 Likes

Dead ones certainly do. I’m happy to be corrected if there are live ones like that too though.

2 Likes

Yes, there are species that look like that live. I’ve seen them in aquariums.

But it’s gorgeous! It’s like a sky at night carpeting the ground :heart_eyes: