Naturalists ruin everything - what have you ruined for your friends?

There must be something you loathe from the US that was introduced though… Western skunk cabbage? or Box Elder? Those seem to be the ones I hear about most although I’m sure there are more.

We are battling Trapa natans in Pennsylvania… and I was surprised to read on the forum that it’s being babied and encouraged elsewhere. Here it is known for its resilience and persistence - I would never have thought that it would be struggling in its native range.

1 Like

Did the opposite here, now my buddies like vultures now

3 Likes

Salal (Gaultheria shallon), an abundant, usually well loved, community dominant, native shrub in the Pacific Northwest of North America, is invasive in Great Britain where it is transforming forests that never had a shrub layer like this. Similarly, Eurasian honeysuckle (Lonicera) shrubs are transforming forests in Iowa, U.S.A.

1 Like

Those honeysuckle are bad in Wisconsin, as well.

Many years ago, I kind of ruined things for a local nature preserve. The staff were rather fond of their large population of Red-eared Sliders and had installed signage helpfully IDing the 3-4 species of turtles one could see there. I pointed out, to their dismay, that the abundant sliders were all non-native, likely released pets from early on when the preserve opened.

10 Likes

There were a group of people blocking the path at Lake Lure Flowering bridge by taking multiple group selfies. So I just told them that a few minutes earlier I had seen some black bears (which was completely true). They thanked me for the warning and dispersed quickly. :grin:

8 Likes

Omg I do this all the time LOL. One of my favorites (and also one of the first), was letting my sisters know what dung beetles are. They were 3yrs and 6yrs old and would always hold them because they were really common. Me being me, I told them what it was and came to a realization that they had absolutely no idea what “dung” was :skull: Found one of the beetles actually rolling our dogs poop, showed them and they were horrified. I’m pretty sure that’s when they stopped holding and liking bugs lol. Few other times…My pastor was giving a sermon and used a metaphor on a hornet, something abt it losing its stinger and dying etc. Wellll, Im in the front row, and I started smiling and trying not to laugh (they already know I like bugs) and my friend across the room (also front row) is curious so I’m literally trying to explain with body language how wrong the analogy he used was from a technical standpoint. Cuz first of all, we don’t have hornets in my area, second, he kept replacing it with Yellowjacket wasp and that isn’t right either lol. My friend got confused and instead thought I meant to catch it in my hands instead of swat it, anddd then the pastor caught us. So yeaaaa. Lol. Most of the times I ruin things in on movies tho. I’ll be like, that scorpion isn’t poisonous, you can tell by the pinchers, that’s not the snake they said it was……tHaT’s NoT wHAt you do if a snake bites you!! :sob::sob::sob: My family’s always like shut up we don’t care looool

15 Likes

Wasps not loosing the stinger kinda ruins the sermon.

7 Likes

Looool yea just a tad :skull:

3 Likes

Most bees don’t either. It’s just Honey Bees (the only bee that counts apparently).

3 Likes

At least with our pastor - logic or coherence don’t seem to be important parts of any sermon to begin with :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yup, but it’s an accident overall, they evolved to defend from other insects, not humans.

2 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t know Salal was a problem in Great Britain. Unfortunately it is starting to disappear where I live (PNW) and I don’t think many people have started to care yet.

1 Like

Hm, I tried that one and it didn’t work. If anything, it led to even more people congregating hoping to catch a picture of the bears. Tourists… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

OMG. Apparently…I need to get to Ecuador.
this is so adorable <3

1 Like

That when cockroaches run or fly directly at you, they are doing it on purpose to scare you; it’s a tactic meant to startle a would-be predator so that the roach may have extra time to escape the situation!

7 Likes

Oh my gosh I’m going to use this on my mom lol. Thank youuu :grin::skull:

3 Likes

Anyone know if it’s also the same tactic used by these bad boys: Branta canadensis?

2 Likes

Just to add: The sky is filled not just with flying spiders, but with an array of short-winged and near flightless beetles, many of which are tiny (viewed clearly only with a magnifying glass) and depend entirely on being dispersed from feeding grounds to ovipositing sites with cyclical wind currents. The family Thripidae is a good example of this

5 Likes

I’m afraid the gentleman responsible for the following videos would have a whole lot ruined for him, if one could find him. Although the undercurrent of his material suggests he’s trying to draw people into being enthusiastic and involved in local wildlife issues, alot of what he uses to substantiate his concerns are fanciful at best, and grossly inaccurate at worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQOKiuhnYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DEo-pb7QI

A particularly egregious example is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7UBOPo615I&t=2926s

1 Like