'Needs ID' pile, and identifications

The gold stars are the rewarding conversations and the interesting life forms I learn about.

8 Likes

True!

Better yet, tiered pins for every 5000 IDs. I’m at 16,096 now – and that’s after withdrawing the ones that go maverick. So that would be tier three – and I’m sure there are plenty of users here with more than that!

4 Likes

Next step African Unknowns

But I am saddened that leaping from My Province to the whole of my continent only equals another 104 pages! We need more iNatters across Africa.

6 Likes

I’d be happy to come iNat in Africa; I’ve never been there. Maybe in another two or three years, the pandemic will be less deadly?

1 Like

There’re people with 800k ids, every five isn’t enough, every 50k maybe worth it.

I am following the figures daily. Cautiously optimistic for South Africa.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 Like

I’m currently agitating/encouraging/nagging my mom to do IDs. I know she would be a great help with plant IDs. She so infrequently uses the site that she forgets how to use it and gets frustrated. She also worries that she will mess up her IDs. I’ve been trying to get her to do it at least every Friday so she will get used to using the site. And I told her that she can leave an ID at genus level if she is not confident about her ID.

8 Likes

This is a frequent source of irritation for me. I know why the identify page loads this way (from a programming perspective) but it would be nice if it worked more like the home page feed.

3 Likes

I can’t even get people to make ids, never goes for more than 20, it may sound as it’s good in current iNat situation, but I look at the map, see all white spots and it’s sad, I myself can’t do much with it as we have no car and it’s expesive to ride around on a taxi (and I dislike riding public transport alone), especially if around is a remote part of the region. Today my streak broke as photos on iNat just refuse to load normally no matter what I do, probably my provider is sick of that, I got 9k ids this week, so probably not that bad. It’d be cool if your mom would join the process in a regular manner!

1 Like

I was excited to get all of the wild buckwheats (Eriogonum sp.) from 2009-2011 cleared from “Needs ID.” Now there’s only another decade worth (35k+) to do.

7 Likes

I have no idea how any individual could do that. Very impressive. I’d have to be unemployed with no other obligations to even attempt anything close to that number … and I’d probably be catatonic by the time I was done!

8 Likes

You described my life.)

12 Likes

I’m working my way through various Unknowns, and I’ve come upon a perfectly good observation where I cannot even tell if it’s Animals, Plants, Fungi, or something else. I can’t think of anyone to call in to help, either. Aside from just ignoring it or labeling it as Life, what do you all do in such cases? Here’s the observation, in case you’re curious: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/62156655

1 Like

Typically I call @lotteryd for anything strange. The observer did state they think it’s a ball of pine needles, so that’s something.

1 Like

I think the observer is looking more for who pulled the pine needles together? IDing it as Pinus wouldn’t answer the implied question, I think. But asking @lotteryd is a good idea! I also often ask @ceiseman about weird things; I’ll try both of them.

I did’t get that expression, they think it’s not a pine ball as needles arranged differently from regular ball (all looking out), those balls are created by currents.

Also, the location is an inland location in Maine, so that narrows it down.

Possibly this is an example of a Lake Ball. If so, not an organism, just a unique collection of debris. Perhaps observer should post close UPS of organisms living on the ball. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_ball

1 Like

Sigh… Remind me why identifying Needs ID observations is useful? I think I’m getting burnt out on it (plus it’s gray winter here, plus the pandemic, etc., etc.) and I don’t know enough to go sort out, say, stink bugs or pines or amanitas.

2 Likes