'Needs ID' pile, and identifications

If you know that they can’t be ided further, then mark them, if you’re not sure it’s better not to.

5 Likes

I joined the “Microscopic Microbes” project (and several other projects, like “Intertidal Zone”, “Beach Finds and Washashore”, etc)…they often have organisms I can’t ID past “Life”, so I hope project members can do better. Of course, that has its own issues:

1. There aren’t notifications when observations are added to projects, and
  2. they seem to be listed in order of when the observation was addded to iNat, not when it was added to the project.
    • so an older Unknown observation added to the project may end up on page 2 or 3 of the project’s observations list, rather than being on page one to show members “hey, this is new to the project, any ideas?”
3 Likes

Marking the dandelion observation “cannot be improved” is reasonable. Most of them truly can’t because the necessary details were not photographed. Also, observations marked “cannot be improved” at the genus level will go to Research Grade. Should be easy for any future Taraxacum expert to find because he’ll be searching on “Taraxacum.”

2 Likes

I asked essentially this same question in a different topic.

These are the responses I got:

1 Like

@headsoup I’ll answer you here, yes, it is a needed work to search for mistakes, and if expert can look through all verifiable observations it’s the best scenario, but we lack iders, they’re rare and endangered. Another problem is as observer you often don’t know what is a correct id and what is not, plus it’s mostly not species-level ids, I’d say if that was in the reverse, pressure on iders would be much less, and needs id that way would go down pretty fast.

1 Like

Thanks for moving the conversation to the correct place :)

I agree in general, I guess what I’m proposing would be ‘phase 2’ once we just get enough general IDers going to work through the broader pile. I’m just cautious of IDers that have expertise in particular areas focusing on bringing down the pile where they could be enhancing the quality of existing records (and therefore lead to better AI recommendations and then better ‘first guesses’ by observers. Tough to do I guess while the pile is so big!

But cv uses not only RG observations, so experts are working to this goal anyway.

Could this ‘pile’ of needs ID be the result of more citizen scientists joining iNat than experts?

1 Like

Firstly, I absolutely agree that this needs to be changed, and it should happen automatically. But if you’re interested, I may have a workaround for you. I took your favorite taxa from your profile and made a custom URL - this will bring up an identify page that includes all observations anyone has ever identified as one of these taxa, regardless of what the community ID is currently: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?ident_taxon_id=335333%2C203636%2C467532%2C126917%2C1276374%2C1094458&place_id=any

If you bookmark that URL and use it as your main identify page, it should circumvent your problem.

3 Likes

That’s not a question, but a fact, though anybody can be an expert, so it’s the result of many people not trying to id at all.

Nah. Get the wrong ID, flashing red lights and sirens, followed by ‘GAME OVER’!

Now there’s an idea to make the next botany practical more interesting, mwhahaha! Education nowadays is all about ‘gamification’, right?

2 Likes

To a point, sure. But I have barrel cactus obs with 8+ confirming species IDs, and that makes my blood boil. If all those people like cactus and have the time, why can’t they spend it on some other genus…?

3 Likes

Because they’re afraid of being wrong? Because they want to show off their knowledge? Because they really, truly are an expert and they are checking the quality of RG records and clicking Agree is easier/faster than clicking Reviewed? (Is it actually faster to click Agree than Reviewed? I never use Reviewed, so I really don’t know.)

I might have a bit of bias that’s showing here, because when I see the number of easy-to-ID unconfirmed observations out there in my area (New England, which is thick with iNatters), I wonder why they haven’t been confirmed in three or four or eleven years. Dare to be wrong, people! (Just keep it to, say, less than 1% of the time.)

9 Likes

Please explain why if they’re true experts they check easy species and don’t check anything little bit more complicated? Why many people only check RG observations and have many thousands of such ids, how their id number 4, 5, 6, etc. make those records worth more? I don’t wanna link here anything, but 8-9 ids on Great Tit photo is just too much and it happens each time.

3 Likes

It seems to happen a lot on birds observed in Europe, but not on US birds or e.g. plants and such. I wonder if maybe European birders are more prone to “subscribe” to their favorite species and interact with every single observation on those rather than using iNat’s Identify function?

1 Like

Lots of discussion about this here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/changes-to-the-agree-button-functionality-and-addition-of-markdown-in-comments-and-id-remarks/14566

I brought it up because I got notications about two of my barrel cactus observations this morning needed to vent hahah.

3 Likes

The annual flood of students taking blurry photographs of cultivated plants and uploading them with whatever unlikely organism the CV suggests is now beginning in earnest, at least here in California. My least favorite time of the year!

10 Likes

You make a good point about whether they are true experts or not.

2 Likes

Post an identify portal link in the IdentiFriday thread and we’ll help you out

5 Likes