'Needs ID' pile, and identifications

Two days ago I took a picture of some leaves on the sidewalk (that I will post as an observation) with total satisfaction that it will be IDed as Liriodendron tuipifera. (Hope I spelled that right.) That’s the only tree I can think of that can be readily IDed with only a leaf photo.

That, and Sassafras around here, at least if it’s a leaf with lobes.

1 Like

Are you saying that if someone or several someones have IDed my observation but I haven’t posted that I agree with the ID, my observation is still in the Need ID pile? It does not show that way on my observations.

Just haven’t been told otherwise.

1 Like

No, we’re talking about observations with turned off community id.

2 Likes

What I would like to know is, who is new today? And tomorrow? And the day after? The more I read the forum, the more I want to send a (short) welcome letter to new arrivals containing a bit of the info that we are telling each other here over and over.

2 Likes

4 Likes

If I’m IDing something for an observer who has just one or two observations and I’m pretty sure they read English, I just write, “Welcome to iNaturalist!” I figure some simple early feedback like that will help get them hooked on iNat.

3 Likes

Ginkgo! :)

2 Likes

Thanks very much for pointing that out!

Yes! A third tree that is IDable from only the leaf!

And three brown ones equals a silver one, and three silver ones equals a gold one, etc. for all you master IDers.

2 Likes

I’m pretty good with just the warm fuzzies.

4 Likes

It’b better if they got in -0 system, so maybe 10-50-100-200, and so on.

Sure. I was just following what Jason said.

1 Like

Sounds great to me, too. Maybe we could visit some schools and promote iNat?

1 Like

What do you mean by mavericks?

Sorry if this has already come up in this thread but there are 777 postings :grimacing:
From https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#identification :

There are several types of IDs:

• Leading: Taxon descends from the community taxon. This identification could be leading toward the right answer.
  • Improving: First suggestion of this taxon that the community subsequently agreed with. This identification helped refine the community taxon.
  • Supporting: Taxon is the same as the community taxon. This identification supports the community ID.
  • Maverick: Taxon is not a descendant or ancestor of the community taxon. The community does not agree with this identification.

You can check your own mavericks by using this URL: https://www.inaturalist.org/identifications?user_id=janebp&category=maverick
You don’t have any. Your identifications can be seen here:https://www.inaturalist.org/identifications?user_id=janebp

Not all mavericks are bad, some could be the first step in the right direction.
Also check this thread: How do I find and fix my old mis-identifications?

3 Likes

Monocots usually have three petals but they may also have three sepals that look like petals so they are referred to as flower petals in sets of three. Grasses are usually (always?) monocots - long strappy leaves with parallel veins.

Grasses is one family.