Neurodiversity and iNaturalist!

This new book by a young author about nature study and autism might be of interest to some:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/books/dara-mcanulty-diary-of-a-young-naturalist.html

If the link doesn’t work, google Dara McAnulty and “Diary of a Young Naturalist.”

1 Like

Wonderful book! He expresses the joy we find in the natural world in a way that really reflects my experience. Highly recommend.

yes great recommendation, i read this right when it came out and loved it

I read that article in the paper and immediately thought of this thread. :)

i wonder if Dara is on iNat :)

1 Like

Hi Ben, I’m not a Twitter person but Mary Kennedy mentioned that you’d commented about Aphantasia here.

I have zero images in my head and I also have SDAM (Severely diminished Autobiographical Memory). I’m 71 now and only just realized in my mid-60s that others could see things in their heads. I thought counting sheep for example was metaphor.

I take photos obsessively. I find it hard to make ID’s as I cannot visualize things I have seen in books or on-line. If I’ve seen a bird and look away from it to a book, that bird doesn’t exist in my head so unless I can see the book and the actual bird. It makes learning about what I’ve observed very hard.

I think I have an extreme version of Aphantasia.

BTW my adult daughter has recently been diagnozed with Autism.

However I tend to be VERY social and chatty.

Should you wish to chat further Ben your best bet would be to “friend” me on FB.

Sybil Nunn

12 Likes

Autistic extroverts exist! I am one of them!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

1 Like