New Annotation: Evidence of Presence

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

With the caveat being that I’m not an entomologist, I think molt would be the only necessary one here. The evidence the observation records is not of a dragonfly nymph, just the molt. And you don’t know whether or not it was alive when you found the molt, so I’d either leave the Alive or Dead annotation blank or put in Cannot be determined.

Yeah, like I said there are plenty of more specific types of evidence we left out on purpose for now, but I’d like to have ones for things like beaver chews, dear/bear rubs, and evidence of feeding, etc. Again, we wanted to start simple and broad.

As noted in the original post, trying to figure the best term for constructions and homes was a bit too complex for this at launch. As for galls, I’d be OK with it (would need a list of applicable taxa) but since most obserations of gall-inducing organisms are photos of the galls and not the organism itself, it seemed less pressing. But I think annotating observations that show photos of the gall-inducer as Organism would be helpful for sure, so people could find photos of the organism among the sea of gall photos.

You can’t really batch edit them, but you can use Identify to annotate your observations fairly quickly (although there are some performance issues which I want to look into later this week).

Ooh, good suggestion!

Any type of fecal matter.

I think it’s best to have specific values than a catch-all.

Yup, I forgot to make this annotation multi-valued. Should be working now.

15 Likes