New Annotation: Evidence of Presence

OK, Gall is now a value for Evidence of Presence. Its definition is:

Deformed plant tissue outgrowth caused by a parasitic organism.

It should appear on observations in Animalia, Fungi, Bacteria, and Viruses, with the exceptions of Chordata, Echinodermata, Ctenophora, Cnidaria, Crustacea, Mollusca, Araneae, Odonata, and Homo sp.

Its keyboard shortcut is e then g.

It should be an option for collection projects and in the taxon photo browser.

A few things:

• We decided to err on the side of making Gall available in more situations than might really be necessary. That’s why we didn’t choose to limit it to, say, just the known insect families that induce galls. Therefore if you make an observation of a gall and just ID it as Insecta, you’ll still be able to annotate it as a Gall. That would hopefully make it more likely to be found by a gall identifier who could make more precise ID.

• I made exceptions for some broad categories that I’m pretty certain never induce galls and/or are marine only. If any of those are mistakes, though, please let me know.

• As of now, Gall is the only available annotation for Fungi, Viruses, and Bacteria. It’s possible that might encourage people to choose it because it’s there, even if it’s not a good fit - let’s see how that plays out.

• Please give it a few days before critiquing, if you can, unless there’s a glaring issue.

9 Likes