New Annotation: Evidence of Presence

• Construction : Useful.
  • Evidence of feeding : Helpful, although I usually just call this “leftovers”. Strikes me as requiring more knowledge of an organism’s behaviour.
  • Scratch or rub : I would favour something broader that doesn’t imply knowledge of the animal’s purpose in interacting with the environment. Feels ambiguous to me.
    • Often along a trail I will see a hole dug by a grizzly, possibly in the process of obtaining food. Is this “evidence of feeding” or “construction” or “scratch or rub”?
    • Stumps of trees downed by a chewing beaver. Is this “construction” or “evidence of feeding” or both? e.g. Observation of downed tree stump
  • Hair : Makes sense.
  • Gall : Helpful! I’d like to be able to filter for gall photos to compare with ones I’ve seen.
  • Leaf mine : I’m uninformed here. Probably helpful.

Missing:

• Tooth : Teeth aren’t bones (they’re Luxury Bones™), but bones are listed as being “endoskeletal”. Might be good to formally expand the “Bone” category or create a separate one, since they’re a fairly common find:

A general trend that I’ve been observing on the usage of Track is that some might take it to be a more expansive term. Although you define track in a particular way,

I’ve seen several uses on iNat where it is being used on evidence besides prints or impressions. Perhaps in some communities (perhaps hunters), “track” has a larger connotation; I recall a hunter acquaintance of mine using the noun “track” in a more expansive sense. Dictionary definitions also tend to go wider (e.g. “detectable evidence that something has passed”).

Might be worth clarifying with “track pattern” or “track imprints”. Looking at Chordata photos and filtering by “Track” has a small but noticeable number (<5%) of the observations being in a different sense. Some might include broken branches, although I’m not sure that would better fit in rubbing/scratching.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought when I first read it, but then why is it restricted only to mammals? I think the implied meaning of ‘scratch’ there is that an animal is using the environment to scratch or rub itself, not that an animal has left a scratch in a tree.

1 Like

I definitely saw it as meaning a scratch in a tree. E.g. where a deer rubbed its antlers on something and left a mark, or claw marks from large predators.

2 Likes

Why only restricted to mammals then? Seems like any animal could make that sort of mark

1 Like

Large cats leave ‘Here be Dragons’ scratch marks to identify their territory.
That is distinctive, and noticeable.

1 Like

I found this obs yesterday, which my best guess is bark stripped off a tree by a squirrel: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/88208526
Assuming for the sake of argument that is what it is, would this be a scratch/rub? It looks a lot like one, and doesn’t seem materially different to me from a bear scratching at a tree for unknown reasons (if scratches are not tracks). I suppose it could be evidence of feeding or construction, though it would be difficult to guess a priori what it was planning on doing with this particular bark. If it is, maybe scratch/rub should be expanded to at least vertebrates because birds could also possibly peel/scratch/damage bark. I’m not sure if a reptile rubbing against bark to shed or itch would ordinarily cause enough damage to be noticeable, but it seems like at least in principle such an observation could exist and would be another reason to expand it to vertebrates.

1 Like

I would think that could be a scratch or rub. It certainly fits better than the other options. If it was from a squirrel, and was removed on purpose, it would probably be used as building material rather than food. I still wouldn’t be for marking it construction, since to me that implies a finished or in progress structure rather than just materials. Others may disagree. And I don’t see a good reason to limit the annotation to mammals. The main reason I see for that is that mammals are the most likely animals to make such a mark, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones. I see no negative effect in offering it as an option for other vertebrates.

There’re observation fields for that.

Leaf curl. I’m still waiting to figure out what to do about that one.

Came to the thread to suggest that a CID of ‘Araneae’ (spiders) allow an Evidence of Presence tag of ‘webbing/silk’. Would definitely appreciate seeing that one added. :)

1 Like

That fits under construction.

2 Likes

Perhaps it would simplify the process of annotating to have ‘Alive organism’ and ‘Dead organism’ as options under evidence of presence - reducing the number of selections to be made.

What problem do you have with nests falling under construction?

1 Like

“Construction” could include both a beaver lodge and a beaver dam, but the former is a dwelling (home), same as a burrow or nest, and the latter isn’t.

I thought of “artifact” as a term that might be applicable to anything constructed but that term is almost always applied to things made by humans and is a bit obscure.

1 Like

Alternative name for ‘construction’ could be ‘architecture’, there’s already a good-sized group that chose that as their descriptor, which I suspect would translate well into other languages.

I’ve read through a third of this topic, but decided it is quicker to just ask: Is there a decision on what evidence of presence applies to galls, please?

It probably would be just galls, for now there’s nothing.

I am terribly sorry
I added leaf miners and plant gall formers to the list, but will delete them again, if you do not agree that they make sense
I did not know this forum
So my proposal would be as new annotations sub

Evidence of Presence (within Animalia) ...

• Leaf miners (within Insecta): Larval track within plant leaves
  • Plant gall formers (within Insecta, Acari, viruses, bacteria and fungi): Inducer of plant gall
  • All the best Nikola

P.S. I did not check how to make it in different languages anyway ;-)

Hm, I fully agree they make sense and I wait for them and they were mentioned quite a few times in this topic, so I hope it will show staff that those are highly requested and needed annotations, my previous comment just stated they likely will have their own names (so not just traces, tracks, houses, etc.) and for now there’re no annotations that fit them. But also there’re plant spots and some other leaf damaging types, so maybe there could be a subtype dedicated to all of them, I don’t know.
    And welcome, I wouldn’t guess you weren’t here before.)

Hi Nikola,
    big fan of plant gallers and leaf miners here :wink:

1 Like