"No need to delete" - really?

iNaturalist is not a site about wildlife.

2 Likes

As my closing remarks, Iā€™d like to note that there may be language barriers, culture differences, differentiating opinions on how the site could be run, etc., that are all contributing to misunderstandings between the users involved, and itā€™s necessary that we take this into account when communicating with one another. While we have all shared our opinions, no solution can come from repeating things over and over again, and I commend @carancho for realizing this and deciding to talk to staff in a network meeting.

One last thing:

Personally, Iā€™m not assuming anything with this observation, I think the facts are all there. Specifically, the image in question is a drawing of a human, or so I believe. In this particular case it doesnā€™t matter who drew it, as I believe identification is correct. If this was a drawing of a bird, we would mark it as Aves, since drawings are allowed. However, the location would be inaccurate, being in Antarctica, so that would have been marked in the Data Quality Assessment on the observation. I hope this makes sense, if anyone has questions please contact me privately.

2 Likes

Inat observations provide evidence of the existence of the species in question. They are not exclusively direct observations.

This is not a bear it is a perfectly acceptable research grade observation of one.

The drawing is evidence of a human whether it attempts to depict a human or is a lovely landscape painting. A human made the drawing, no different than a bird making a nest or a badger making a burrow etc.

1 Like

If you say so, iNat says:

iNaturalist is a social network for naturalists! Record your observations of plants and animals, share them with friends and researchers, and learn about the natural world.

I donā€™t see a significant enough difference between the words ā€œplants and animalsā€, ā€œnatural worldā€, and ā€œwildlifeā€ to bother debating it.

4 Likes

As I understand it, no one can remove another personā€™s observation/post. Labelling it as Human ensures that it will never be formally adopted as a valid post. A bit of a work around, but unless things have changed, that is my understanding.

1 Like

Humans are animals.

3 Likes

Just a brief comment- I think I understand @carancho. Latin American biologists/scientists are kind of resistant to citizen science. We are trying to change that perception, thatā€™s why we try to avoid having these issues in the National nodes. We donĀ“t want to give arguments to these people who want to bring iNaturalist and Participatory Science down. We know we will have silly observations, we just want to show we can do something about it to have a better platform and increase academic participation.

9 Likes

Slow mode? What is that?

As said, the picture is not an human excrement, nor a footprint, nor a skeleton: it is an illustration. The picture could be have done by a robot, an non-corporeal artificial intelligence or evenā€¦

(Since the observation was recorded on a place called Elephant Island it could be possible)

Then, if you assume it was made by an human, I would ask why would you want to keep it so obstinately, only because itā€™s not selling stuff or was not downloaded from the web? I understand that most of times it is just silly and harmless stuff, but why is still a good idea to keep it when it causes a problem? I ask these questions here and do not expect to find answers at this point, but definitely @mich_croc has a point.!

1 Like

Please, letā€™s stop this repetitive questioning, everyone. This discussion isnā€™t going anywhere, as Iā€™ve said again and again.

1 Like

@zdanko makes a good point, and since the original poster has indicated that they will be discussing this issue directly with staff, I think this is a good place to close the thread.

5 Likes