Obscuring geolocation by date?

I care about protecting threatened species. This argument can go both ways.

yeah, iā€™m not saying your perspective isnā€™t valuable. iā€™m saying thatā€™s not the perspective that drives my own objection. by the way, iā€™m not saying simply donā€™t do anything. there are probably ways to get the best of both worlds, though it would be no simple exercise to achieve that.

1 Like

I just hope Iā€™m aware when it occurs to my observations, so I can delete the observation causing it.

3 Likes

Based on the proposal, I think it would be clearer to just call it time obscuration. The date portion of the datetime would not be hidden.

I certainly do too, but there have to be better ways to do it.

I currently do the same thing Charlie describes: uploading truly vulnerable obvs on a different day, with altered date and time of observation, and location private. If thereā€™s a way to automate that, awesome! But again, an approach that obscures 75% of my data for the sake of some NY S3-S2 species that are not in danger and abundant in my area seems like a pretty obviously problematic way of going about it.

1 Like

In the unfortunate event it ever happens Iā€™d request a one time optional auto purge of all auto obscured observations Iā€™ve uploaded. A day of 50 georeferenced species is more valuable for most ecology/management purposes than obscured locations for 51 observations including some rare sedge no one would ever poach anyway. Etc. and yeah for most cases Iā€™d stop posting all of those species, start deleting the date, or create an alt account for them.

But no point getting riled up over something that hopefully wonā€™t ever happen.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.