Obscuring locations - reasons and etiquette

the thing about harassing people for obscuring is, the alternative for most of them isn’t unobscuring, if they couldn’t obscue they probably wouldn’t be here at all. Some people do have serious issues with stalkers for a variety of possible reasons, thankfully i am boring and no one stalks me but i still prefer to keep my home address private. And there’s always the risk of poaching, i feel the threat of iNat causing poaching is lower than most people claim it to be, but still significant enough to obscure most orchids, etc.

5 Likes

Obscured is fine. It’s not quite precise, but for large-scale mapping it’s precise enough. Don’t obscure locations routinely, but use this tool when it seems important.

4 Likes

The points people are making about obscuring observations made in their home are good ones. If people feel safer hiding their home or place of work, I don’t see anything wrong with that. Most observations are probably relatively common and could be made in the same general area. :) I find it preferrable to know something exists in my area to not knowing at all, even if it means I’m not getting the exact location because it’s someone’s backyard.

1 Like

Although, once the nesting season is over – if it is a species that does not re-use the same nest again – I might at that point de-obscure it.

I’ve seen that done. An observation where you can see playground equipment in the picture, but the location is set as a Walgreens parking lot.

Interestingly enough, all of the Red-masked Parakeet observations in San Francisco are obscured, even though that is an entirely nonnative population. The thing about parrots is that they can potentially be poached anywhere – there is a National Geographic video about feral parrots being poached in Miami.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.