Obscuring observations now obscures the date of comments and IDs

As said you still can find out time and place based on other observations uploaded that day.

Not if those are also obscured, which they almost certainly will be at someoneā€™s home.

i donā€™t feel like it is really appropriate to scrutinize other peopleā€™s privacy concerns. If people want the day obscured for their personal observations, i donā€™t see any reason to not allow them to. Just because you donā€™t care does not mean other people donā€™t have good reasons to.

8 Likes

I never said I didnā€™t care, I was just questioning the reason. Obscuring makes the use for the data pretty limited, especially with these new restrictions, so it would be nice to avoid it as much as possible.

Why should they be spening the whole day at home though? They can go to groceries or go to a trip and donā€™t obscure those observations.

I never said they were spending all day at home? I donā€™t get what you are trying to say here.

You wrote that, people wonā€™t be obscuring observations that are not on their property! Instead of just making obsured ones less findable they need to obscure more observations by what you say.

People choose to manually obscure their observations because, for whatever reason, they donā€™t want others to know where they made the observation. Thereā€™s no reason for it to be different depending on why something is obscured. The mitigation functionality discussed here is applicable for any time someone wants to not divulge the location of the observation.

3 Likes

I think that Raymie might be trying to say that, if someone takes a lot of photos at someplace theyā€™d like to keep private, they will obscure all of those observations. Since all of those locations are obscured, I donā€™t think there is a way to find the location even if the date is unobscured for those locations.

What I say is that for example you wake up and take photos near your house and then go 200 metres and take photos there, with hidden date thereā€™s no need to make all of those observations obscured, while before you probably would like to obscure both groups of observations.

1 Like

I guess, although personally, I would obscure those as well. 200m isnā€™t very far.

Wouldnā€™t an easy way to appease those who donā€™t like this to make it a choice to obscure the time? That way, they can have control over their own observations. (For those where the location is intentionally obscured, not automatically.)

To clarify, Iā€™ve gotten used to this change and donā€™t really care anymore, but there are clearly some people who still feel strongly about this.

Well, I would like it to be so for any obscured obs.! I have no intention to hide anything at all and donā€™t see anything that rare.

I cannot reproduce the dates not appearing in csv downloads now either. I download a csv of my observations once a month for the month just gone and perhaps I was just unlucky with my timing and I made my download in a transition period where the date was generalised to the month in the csv. I donā€™t know :) I just downloaded a csv and the obscured date is now there (but without the time, just the date, but thatā€™s no big deal). The ā€œtime_observed_atā€ cells are blank as well, but I can work around that by using the ā€œobserved_on_stringā€ column

i canā€™t reproduce this. time_observed_at is populated just fine for me.

I must be doing something wrong then. I just downloaded my observations for May and the images below are what I get (Iā€™ve cropped out a lot, but they show what Iā€™m getting). The relevant observations are https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observations/89003023 and https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observations/89003024

it looks to me like those observations are just missing time to begin with, not that the obscure functionality is dropping the time.

@tiwane ā€“ another minor issue related to this topic:

note that the page title in iNaturalist.org drops the date of an obscured observation:

but Australian iNat does not:

and Canadian iNat does not:

4 Likes

I guess thatā€™s possible. I donā€™t normally remove metadata (except for camera and lens info) but I cannot recall now (although I have a lightroom preset for export and export all my photos the same way 99.9999% of the time). Next time I upload something that will be obscured Iā€™ll make sure that Iā€™m not doing something at my end.