Observer Added Context: Is It Relevant?

To add another example scenario to your list that I have come across multiple times: An observer comes across a plant in a seemingly un-cultivated area that they insist was wild/feral. The plant appears almost certainly to be a specific ornamental hybrid that I know is always sterile, and does not seem to readily propagate/invade vegetatively outside of careful cultivation.

I am sure they are reporting what they perceived in good faith, but that doesn’t mean I have to believe they are right. Maybe it isn’t completely impossible they could somehow be correct. However, balancing their credibility with knowledge I have it seems a far more likely possibility is that someone has just planted or discarded it in an incredibly weird place for some unknown reason (perhaps a misguided beautification attempt).

7 Likes

This is a good point, however my own situation isn’t one of these scenarios. At least, I don’t think it is. The species I encountered can reproduce by seed and in fact this is not the only time I’ve encountered it in a wild setting.

The observer did not tell me some reason it could be impossible. They merely told me what I have already posted in my OP. The user failed to provide me any evidence to believe that this plant was cultivated.

2 Likes

Right, and in this context in situ pictures wouldn’t make a difference anyway; I don’t have any reason to doubt that the plant was there, just that it could have gotten there of its own accord.

1 Like

Because this topic is now solved, and has devolved to the point of discussing a specific issue on a specific observation with specific users (with all but usernames being included), I think it’s best to close the thread, as it has veered into the territory of calling out specific users over actions on iNaturalist itself.

3 Likes