Open letter of apology for once being a reckless user

people care a lot about taking observations from other sources like the Internet, or stealing other people’s observations outright (oddly it happens). For family i think if you note in your profile that it’s a family account that would be sufficient. I also get the interacting account thing, maybe a different issue but i have a different account for work which i use to post other work related data, and i have to be really careful not to agree with the work ID with my personal account because that’s totally cheating. I am not sure how that works with a kid you are supervising and i am probably overthinking it but as i said, i’m autistic :joy:

the road data is definitely valuable and i use that sort of data in my job for mapping wetlands.

4 Likes

But what I propose is a separate account for him that you will manage.

Apology accepted. Although perhaps unrelated, the only thing I really care about is nature. That makes some of my comments seem abrupt or even rude. It’s not that I intend to do that, it just happens. But your “open letter” pulls on my heart strings. Thank you and best wishes

4 Likes

It’s more that I wouldn’t want people to think he’s my son if I commented or did anything to interact with it, which again, sounds weird. It’s less to do with guidelines and more that I wouldn’t want other people to be able to know he is my son. I mentioned people recognizing me before in another thread and I believe that you responded to that comment, so it’s similar to that. I don’t want my son to get recognized, and there are some people who would try to do that. It sounds all very weird but it’s just something that I have to worry about. I like to just completely bypass that though for the time being, and share the account, making his whereabouts correlate with mine, rather than his whereabouts being obviously apart from mine. Again, unique circumstances, so it’ll come off strange. It’s just what I reckon works best and it doesn’t seem to be doing harm.

1 Like

I’m all for comments strictly about the observations and identifying them. I like to assume everybody means well, as the guidelines tell us too, so if I am calling a comment rude or something along those lines, it typically has nothing to do with the actual observation. Saying something like “I don’t see it” vs “all of your uploads are terrible” (which I’ve actually been told), is what I was referring to.

2 Likes

I guess I just view it as my personal preference right now that isn’t doing any damage. I also think I don’t see anything as cheating necessarily unless people are stealing other peoples stuff, because, obviously, don’t steal. But I don’t see it as something you can really win or lose at, so cheating doesn’t really cross my mind. I am open to him having his own account in time, it’s just not something I am confident would work out for us right now. I do highly appreciate your input and stance though. You’re one of the accounts that I tend to agree with 100% of the time based on your other comments on other threads, so maybe if I wasn’t me, I would disagree with myself/somebody else saying what I am saying. But it’s just sort of where we are at right now and what is manageable.

1 Like

Sometimes “objective” comes across as rude, though (for me it does anyway) :( It’s all cool though. I’d never say “all your uploads are terrible”, that’s truly rude :)
But, for @anon83178471, well he’s apologised. Good enough for me and it took guts

I guess so. I do really though like to just assume everybody is trying their best, especially after having made many mistakes. I really don’t like to stir the pot, poke the bear or anything in that realm because I feel like it isn’t worth crossing a potential line over something so, usually, objective. I will say “hey, please stop commenting” or something like that if it’s outright mean, and that works majority of the time. This isn’t a common issue, but I’d say like 4 or 5 people have entertained a back and forth hostile discussion/argument with me in the past. I like to sort of just drop it, because it usually won’t lead anywhere anyhow.

1 Like

doesn’t sound weird to me, makes sense. I wasn’t taking into account you are a public figure (just listened to your band, i like it, good stuff) but i have friends with similar issues and yes absolutely that’s a valid concern. Sharing the account is fine, even if you are both adults. If it gets used for scientific studies, the credit will go to you unless it says otherwise, i don’t know if you or he cares about that.

oops i hope i didn’t cross that line, cuz i saw your road observations and started identifying them because i like road inatting and was procrastinating a work task. When people comment that your uploads are ‘terrible’ please do flag that content. It’s inappropriate for them to do that and it’s well established protocol that judging photo ‘quality’ is not what iNat is about. Harassment to the tune of ‘why don’t you get up and walk to the plan t’ has been directed at users who have disabilities and can’t leave the car and are able to enjoy nature in this way when they couldn’t otherwise. It’s really not appropriate for people to do that. Though i am proud of my fancy method of rotating the phone a certain way to avoid blurring when i take my moving vehicle photos…

it’s true but if it’s not over the top and just blunt, please do be patient

4 Likes

We all make mistakes though don’t we? I haven’t looked at any of your previous comments because I see no reason to. If you’ve made mistakes in the past then so be it. We all have. I can’t speak for you, but in my case (at my job) we try to be objective. Arguments happen though. Sometimes we even offend each other :) It’s rare for any of us to hold a grudge, but it’s also rare that any of us apologise. Well, not explicitly anyway. Anyway, that’s all. I just admire your “letter”.

2 Likes

Mate, I am living with Aspergers. Nothing I ever say is truly meant to offend. And if I say something that does then I will put my hand up and join forces with plenty of the rest of us :)

1 Like

I understand you! I just like clarity in accounts, who saw what.)

1 Like

Anyway, related to my one of my previous responses, I am seriously impressed that @anon83178471 made this post. I wouldn’t, not because I don’t care (I do… believe me I do… I often obsess over posts for weeks or even years) but because I am embarrassed/ashamed. Kudos

5 Likes

oh just to be clear that response was only poking fun at me, totally misread who made the post, i did see your post about being neurodivergent recently. So, itw as a total mistake on my part and a good example of what i am talking about… sorry and a self facepalm for me

2 Likes

You have nothing to apolise to me for ;) We’re good

2 Likes

I’m not trying to excuse any of my previous comments that may be inappropriate. Just trying to explain that I never mean to offend, although I seem to have a good knack for that :)

1 Like

oh i literally just crossed you with Dallon in my head when I made that post, since he just said he was neurotypical early in the thread, because i can barely hold people’s names in my head at all. Plant names yes, people’s names no… But i do NOT assume any iNat user is neurotypical unless they specifically say they are and even then there are plenty of undiagnosed N/D people on here too :)

4 Likes

All of us plant people are crazy ← this is meant in a positive way :)

7 Likes

I was actively sorta dodging saying I am a “public figure” because I feel like it comes off as very arrogant, or like I am declaring I have a particular importance. I don’t think I do, which is why I feel comfortable using iNaturalist and very rarely obscuring any locations. I have had people message me because they recognize my name or who I am. I also have a suspicion that some people made their account specifically to message me, because they will be accounts created that day, and have basically no observations or IDs. (I edited because I was being a bit dramatic.) It’s harmless, but I don’t want my son anywhere intertwined with it. After all, if you look up me, you can find a fair amount of information. But there’s very little about my children, and I try to keep it like that. I don’t want to act like I can bend or break the rules because of a concern like that, but I don’t really feel comfortable making it work in another way yet.

And thank you, for complimenting the music. I hope my profile doesn’t come off as an advertisement, I just don’t have anything else to really show for, other than what I do.

Also, you have definitely never crossed any lines in regards to commenting or being rude, as far as I know. You’re another account where I’ve found myself pretty consistently agreeing with your comments and views on different threads, so I feel like you’d have to try pretty hard to be offensive. Not that you should try, but it doesn’t seem in your nature.

6 Likes

Oh believe me, I am not a saint :D When I object I can do so pretty strongly. I try to be objective but I sometimes get carried away. Sic vita

1 Like