Photo of screens/back of camera

Story of my life. My hypothesis is that people hammer you for asking because they don’t have a good answer.

3 Likes

I remember the incident. After seeing the male towhee around the backyard, I reported it to eBird. The local guy contacted me wanting proof, as this bird should have been long gone. So crappy photos with my DSLR, through three dirty panes of glass… and took photos with my iPhone actually through the eyepiece viewer on my camera. I sent to both eBird and iNat for confirmation.

1 Like

My last camera, a Nikon D7100, was fairly descent, 24.1 mp, but did not have bluetooth or wifi - bought it in 2015 with no thought of this being an issue. I would still be using it if I had not worn out the mirror mechanics taking so many images last year. I had, on occassion, when off the electrical grid and either no access to my laptop or the battery was out, taken images off the back of my camera with my phone. I had done this to 1) get an initial ID of something unique to me and 2) leave “breadcrumbs” for my family who follow my whereabouts through my iNat postings.

3 Likes

A back of the camera shot is good enough for an ID but will not have an impact on the value of a marketable original photo.

1 Like

Going back to the OP’s question, there is no requirement from iNaturalist that an image be of a certain standard or obtained directly using any kind of particular device.

As long as you own the copyright to that photo, it should be fine.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.