Photo taking recommendations by taxon?

So, can some post like how to take a proper picture of small plants? For example:

-Or like:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/37114730

If someone else has done this, please point me towards the right place!

Ty!

For what photo views to take, the answer is always “it depends.” For each plant family there are different features that are important for identification. One thing to keep in mind for your small plants is that all plants start out small, so many “small plants” are seedlings of something bigger, and they would be tricky to identify no matter what you show.
I’d suggest that you’ll get better ID results if for a while you concentrate on bigger more conspicuous plants, especially ones that are flowering. You’ll engage more identifiers and learn much faster.

2 Likes

Ok,

The thing is, that right now they’re the plants that I see while walking along the side of the road or at my house (in our yard).

So I might not find the exact same plant each time…lol.

Ty!

The previous comment about looking for larger specimens is great but there are many tiny organisms around. So what to do… First thing, learn the limitations of the gear you have. I’m going to guess you use a cell phone camera. When you start to get close to a small subject, you often block much of the light. A tripod helps avoid blur because the camera used a long exposure in low light and you moved a little. You should be able to find a cell phone tripod, gorillapod style maybe, for cheap. These little tripods work well for larger cameras too. The other cell phone technique is to tap the screen on your subject before taking the photo. This will tell the camera where to focus. Experiment at home to find out just how close you can get and still be focused. The more you practice the better you’ll get.

Now that you’ve mastered your current camera, you can dive down the rabbit hole of more cameras. No single camera can meet all needs. Maybe you’d like a better cell phone camera or a bridge camera or mirrorless or DSLR. It’s an almost endless sea of choices, tradeoffs, and capabilities. Closeups/macro? Telephoto? Waterproof? Weight? Size?

Have fun.

P.S. the examples you posted look pretty good. Mostly in focus, some idea of size, and trying to get multiple angles and parts. I’d toss the lower quality photos. You seem to have plenty of good ones. And finally, the more you learn the organisms, the better you’ll get at knowing what is needed to ID them. None of us know everything. I take lots of pictures that can’t be IDed because I don’t know what to look for.

5 Likes

Ok,

I do have an iPhone, which is my main tool for picture taking but I have a Canon for the bird pictures.

Ty.

1 Like
I do have an iPhone, which is my main tool for picture taking but I have a Canon for the bird pictures.

I bought a macro lens for my phone that clips on over the phone’s lens. It’s not as good as my Sony camera’s macro, but it’s easier to carry. This is minet but there are probably better, more expensive ones. And more current one. I got mine a year ago.
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-Angle-Samsung-Android-Smartphones/dp/B01D8KOAWM/ref=sr_1_1

2 Likes

In willows, one of the basic questions for identification is whether the lower surfaces are green, more or less like the tops, or are hairy or waxy below. Please, please, always photo the undersides as well as the tops of willow leaves. In many cases, that’s more important than having catkins.

3 Likes

I recently explained that to my students: the bottom of a leaf is as important, and may be more important, than the top of the leaf. Along with the overall habit. I know that the flower is lovely, but a single head on shot of the flower is often insufficient on the road to species level identification of a plant. The leaves, top and bottom, fruit, and the overall habit of the plant are all useful.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.