Photos of dead animals

i think those observations are useful, especially when its fishing. it is evidence of animals in the area.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s pretty uncontroversial that these observations are of value and have a place on this site, with photographic evidence included. I also think that the presence of e.g. gory roadkill photos can have a deterrent effect of some users, especially those who Iā€™d like to see using this site as a means of growing their interest in science and naturalism. ā€˜Funā€™ is a very useful tool for getting people into things like this and quite simply, seeing gory roadkill pictures can put a damper on that fun. I think a decent enough solution would be to include a feature that places a blur filter over ā€œsensitiveā€ images that is removable by clicking on it. Give a checkbox on those images during upload, and a way for users to flag an image as potentially ā€œsensitiveā€ (perhaps even with a voting system like IDs or ā€œlocation is accurateā€ fields). Give users an option in account settings to disable the filter globally. A system like this wonā€™t be 100% effective but I donā€™t think it needs to be.

7 Likes

Iā€™m guessing you are taking about people
Hunting and fishing
There is data that can be gleaned from these
Observations but to what extent Iā€™m not for sure

1 Like

Yes, I meant hunting and fishing, both activities that in most cases are made in the respect of the current laws.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.