Plant thrown out by neighbor, now established. Wild or no?

I haven’t heard of an EDRR project on the national scale before, but I know that Southern California has these programs:
https://www.sandag.org/uploads/meetingid/meetingid_4936_24560.pdf

https://www.occnps.org/invasives/emergent-invasive-plant-management-program.html

Ward’s weed, Genista monosperma, and Senecio angustifolius have not spread very far in the U.S.

They shouldn’t be considered captive in a case like that. They’re a volunteer population, not a captive or cultivated one. No more “captive” than mildew that’s invaded your home.

1 Like

Good to know, I hadn’t come across that. I will be able to improve some of my observations with that one.

1 Like

Пожалуй, приведу один пример, касательно выброшенных растений.
Вот вышли вы на прогулку, взяли с собой яблоко, съели его и выбросили огрызок. Потом, из семян в огрызке, выросла яблоня - так какой её считать? В культуре или дикой?
То же самое и с растительными остатками, выбрасываемыми дачниками. В конце концов, когда человек сажает растение - он создаёт специальные условия в той или иной степени. То же касается и вегетативного размножения. Одно дело, когда человек создаёт условия для вегетативного размножения и совсем другое, когда растение распространяется вегетативно самостоятельно, в том числе и вопреки воле человека. Всё же уход за растением включает в себя и контроль за его разрастанием.

Google translate.
Perhaps I will give one example regarding discarded plants.
So you went for a walk, took an apple with you, ate it and threw away the stub. Then, from the seeds in the stub, an apple tree grew - so what should it be? In culture or wild?
The same thing with plant debris emitted by summer residents. In the end, when a person plants a plant, he creates special conditions to one degree or another. The same applies to vegetative propagation. It is one thing when a person creates the conditions for vegetative propagation and quite another when a plant propagates vegetatively on its own, including against the will of man. Nevertheless, caring for a plant includes control over its growth.

2 Likes

I’ve had similar questions. I once observed a tomato plant next to a bus station; obviously, someone had thrown away a tomato and it had germinated by itself. It was placed by a human but not planted by one. I’m not at all sure how to determine that. It was effectively ''introduced" by humans, as it would never have got there on its own, but then it grew on its own. And yet it’s basically wild / naturalized. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Bidens, Geum, Arctium, Plantago major и прочие растения-антропохоры - так же распространяются при неосознанной помощи человека. На мой взгляд для определения в культуре / дикий важны мотив и уход.

Google translate.
Bidens, Geum, Arctium, Plantago major, and other anthropochora plants also spread with unconscious human help. In my opinion, motivation and care are important for determining in culture / wild.

2 Likes

It is the same as if it was planted. Time does not change the “planted” status.

1 Like

@tonyrebelo could answer your technical questions

and daunting to see how you and I are battling mirror images of each other’s plants.
https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2019/12/banksias-on-brakkloofrant-october-wildflowers-cape-town-.html

1 Like

Vegetative spread through runners is considered a true way of dispersal even though the new shoots are identical to the old plant. After all, if vegetative reproduction wouldn’t be considered so, many species that rely only or mostly on non-sexual reproduction wouldn’t ever become wild (bambooos, poplars, Arundo donax, sterile hybrids, etc…).

2 Likes

In biology not always the definitions have the same meaning as they could have in other contexts. For example, there are so many trees growing in our countryside (but I guess it is the same in yours) that are cared by no one but no one would ever dare to consider them as wild because they have been planted there.
I think that some photos that describe the case could be much more useful than many words.
Anyway, it is important to stress that the improper management of gardening waste can represent a way alien species become wild. In the Mediterranean two groups of invaders rely much on this way of introduction, yuccas and opuntias. Both are often trown away as trunk pieces but in many case they succeed in rooting.

4 Likes

@jon_sullivan Is there a field for this? I have observations of several avocado trees growing among native trees in the outer margin of regen native forest near a roadside where fruit vendors operate in the summer. I left them at the default of Wild, as they are certainly not cultivated, but humans would have discarded the pits (no garden waste in that area as it is some distance from housing).

1 Like

Discarded by fruit vendors, or their customers - is not wild, but human ‘cultivated’.

2 Likes

From a genetics point of view it is cultivated, but the point of the observation in the case of the avocados is that the occurrence is a plant that grew, in that location and in those conditions, (very poor, dry soil with no history of cultivation, no irrigation, partial shade, the competition of native trees and exotic weeds) without human assistance, ie it has the capacity to develop and in time reproduce…so putting “Cultivated” would remove the ecological meaning of the observation.

2 Likes

This is one of those corner cases where I disagree. Feral plants establish from discarded fruit on roadsides all the time: apples, pears, plums, peaches… in our area. These are considered wild (or feral, which amounts to much the same). They have germinated on their own from fruit that just happened to fall where it is. If the fruit had been picked up by a crow and flown 5 m, then dropped, and it germinated and grew there, it would be wild.

Because we’re stubborn enough to attempt to ram them into just two categories when there is a whole spectrum of possibilities and life histories, we’ll always have corner cases like this which are subjective and hard to assign.

4 Likes

City girl here. I don’t think of roadside hawkers selling fruit from this tree they are sitting under. Around Cape Town the hawkers are redistributing fruit and veg from big central wholesalers. So the impact is more like discarded garden waste than the genetics of truly wild plants.
The original question here was - plant thrown out by neighbour.

Sorry Diana I missed that:). I thought you were suggesting a Field for my streetside vendor avocados…which, by the way, in Auckland, as in Cape Town, are from about twenty to several hundred miles away

1 Like

@dianastuder: Discarded by fruit vendors, or their customers - is not wild, but human ‘cultivated’.

No more so than weed seeds carried from one location to the next as debris stuck to mowers or other landscaping equipment, or on the foot of a hiker. The careless transport or careless placement of seeds or plant material that propagates is not cultivation.

1 Like

@dianastuder Perhaps other countries have similar projects on iNat?

I’ve created a project for the Texas Sentinel Pest Network so it will be easier for people who should receive those reports to reach out to people they need to hear from but don’t know about the network.

I thought iNat’s version of ‘cultivated’ is not wild, rather than a gardener carefully cultivating a new plant. Cultivated is not a good way to say Not wild