Presentations about iNaturalist

It used to be possible to download ppt from SlideShare, but I’m not sure it is anymore, unfortunately. That’s one of the main reasons I stopped uploading my presentations to SlideShare because getting it as a pdf really doesn’t help people customize it for their own needs. I can’t find anything in my SlideShare settings that would allow people to download it as a ppt instead of pdf. If anyone has other suggestions for how to more easily share presentations, I’m open to suggestions. Or maybe it’s still worthwhile to share on SlideShare despite its limitations. I’ve done many more presentations I haven’t shared there.

@tiwane and @loarie and I have talked about this a lot (the idea of a “master presentation”), but perhaps “the perfect is the enemy of the good” in this case because it hasn’t happened yet. I also think it’s the kind of thing that ultimately needs to be living and community-curated, with staff chiming in as need to clarify technical nuances and update when there are major functionality changes but without staff as the bottleneck. I’m taking a lot of inspiration from The Carpentries in terms of how they organize curriculum, workshops, and trainings and my dream is to someday have something like that for iNaturalist.

In my experience, every single presentation and audience is different, so your best bet is probably to look at examples of what other people have done and customize it to your unique situation with localized screen shots and examples.

Curatorial note: I’m splitting this from the original thread on iNat Success Stories.

2 Likes