Problem with common names, guidelines and format

Ah, I see what you mean. Maybe they could only make the link appear if the site is showing in English. After all, maybe it doesn’t bother Danish speaking people in the same way it bothers us English speaking CDO sufferers. Is there a curator guide in Danish?

No the curator guide is not translated into Danish. As far as I know, none of the help pages, including the community guidelines, curator guide etc are translated (Not sure about what is available if you log into a regional portal such as .ca and choose French or one of the Spanish ones).

I see several options

• implement the rule all languages must follow the English standard, even if not appropriate for that language
  • itemize and list all the rules per language/family in the English curator guide.
  • translate the curator guide into every supported language and detail the specifics there (I don’t see this as viable, just because I’m running in Danish does not mean I should be limited to only adding Danish names)
  • change the format of the add names pages so it is not dynamically translated, but rather there is a language specific one for each language (still suffers from same problem as the above one)
  • encode it as a trigger at entry to convert any entry to the proper format as I suggested above

I don’t see any reason why users outside of English are less likely to be put off by inconsistency in formats.

But whatever is done here needs to take into account the multilingual nature of the site.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.