Prohibit Curators from Changing Username

Sounds like there are lots of good reasons to change usernames but is there any good reason to change your username a lot? Other than safety issues, all examples given seem like rare events. Consistency is good. Seems like there should be an allowance to change your username maybe once a year without admin help and you could contact admin if there is a good reason to change more. I see no difference between regular users and curators. Both should have the same regulations to prevent abuse and prevent a large amount of unnecessary changes.

5 Likes

Agreed, maybe one or two changes allowed per iNatter and no more, period. So choose carefully.

Added: I meant 1-2 per lifetime, not annually.

2 Likes

I vote for change to username to be allowed , i have seen a few people change their user names and it has not made a difference to the work flow. have also seen people change from silly names (made in hurry ) , long names to more appropriate or shorter names. I think this is actually a unique feature.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum! Stick around.
I added my user name when I signed up and did not really know much about iNat. Itā€™s a moth I used to work with. Iā€™ve thought about changing it - itā€™s longer than I would like - but people know me by that name, and with autofill I assume most folks donā€™t need to type the whole thing. Your first two points are interesting. I know some researchers keep their professional name, even if it changes. Itā€™s the name they built their reputation with.
@astra_the_dragon Wow. Just wow. I have never had anything like that ever happen. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m just naĆÆve or lucky, but I have never encountered any malice on iNat. Knock on wood (taps head with knuckles).

3 Likes