Pros and cons of specimen collecting

Sorry about that. Had to go for a bus.

I think Lynkos is suggesting collecting is only acceptable if the specimens are put to good use, which is a reasonable point, but amateur/professional is the wrong dichotomy to reflect this. Many taxonomic experts are amateurs. The much missed Michael Ackland was a world authority on the fly family Anthomyiidae but earned his living from theatre. Several of the current leading British entomologists are not paid to be entomologists. I think D.J. Scourfield, an early authority on microcrustacea, worked at the Royal Mint. And Michinomiya Hirohito was an enthusiastic amateur student of Hydrozoa. It is a shame nobody found him a job in a museum to occupy him.

Also, experts are not experts from birth. If beginners are discouraged from taking specimens, how are they to develop expertise in their chosen branch of natural history? OK, I know that doesnā€™t apply to ornithologists or primatologists. But if budding entomologists are restricted to species that can be recognised from field photos, they are never going to learn how to tackle the more difficult stuff that needs comparison with reference specimens or dissection.

8 Likes

There is also a practical side to personal collections. Entomologists, perhaps moreso than other zoologists, are able to keep a personal collection in their home because it does not require a lot of storage space or maintenance. (I donā€™t know of anyone maintaining a personal collection of vertebrates, which require a lot more space and care.) I know of a number of Odonata students who have personal collections which they use for reference when making difficult IDs on photos or other specimens. Not all are professional entomologists but all are experts or at least have substantial expertise in these organisms. In most cases, their personal collections eventually will go to an institution, such as a university research museum. Personal collections are perhaps more vulnerable as they are more likely to be lost/destroyed than an institutional collection.

Not sure about personal botanical collections ā€¦ I have a small one myself Iā€™ve added to over the years, although the specimens are not on standard herbarium sheets which require a lot more storage space.

6 Likes

That is an aspect I would like to know more about.

Iā€™ve just been watching this, which is relevant to this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKjKFnUYrOA

The main con is that, well, the creatureā€™s dead. :(

3 Likes

@charlie has wisely chosen not to carry this further, but I would like to add something. To traditional Indigenous peoples it is not a matter of simply performing a ritual - it is part of a belief. A ritual may or may not be essential.
To be clear, many Indigenous peoples in Canada do not understand this, but that is for a number of reasons (mainly to kill their beliefs). There are few groups who follow a traditional hunter-gather life these days, and I will not speak to what any of them believe, as I do not know.
And like @charlie stated, I donā€™t want to respond to any further than that.

1 Like

For me, most of the insects Iā€™ve collected are dead when I found them. We have a screened in back deck with the door left open for our dogs to go in and out. At night Iā€™ll check the 4ā€ rail about half way down and on the edges of the floor for any insects that died. Usually they are in great condition and just need relaxation. Iā€™ve even removed insects from spider webs in good condition. I once found a beautiful hawk moth dead and dried up on the floor. When I picked it up and turned it over, the whole bottom was eaten out and only the top of the moth looked great, so I added it to my collection. And unless I find another dead one, this one will remain in my collection.

When I started collecting live insects, I started with Dragonflies who are near impossible to net. Iā€™m older now and not as fast.:rofl: Iā€™m 62 with knees that are sore due to arthritis and a total right knee replacement and back pain due to arthritis! I donā€™t feel old at all, itā€™s just difficult to get to the ground and up. If you remember, I love moss! Oh, running is out of the question! I think it takes now 25+ sweeps before Iā€™m able to net a dragonfly. Damselflies are somewhat easier, until the disappear in the brush!

I recently purchased from Amazon loupes that I wear over my glassses. The interchangable lens range from 2.5X to 25X and they have led lights on them! My dentist asked why I bought them. Then my favorite part comes up when I get to say that ā€œfor some insects you need to find the very small genetalia to know the sex of the insects.ā€ :roll_eyes: Oh, for bees, I net and briefly chill them in the freezer so theyā€™re quiet enough for an ID. If I have the species, he gets released. Sometimes they wake up before I IDed them, so thatā€™s why a net is always nearby

I never collect more than 2 pairs of a species, if Iā€™m able. I have a lot of ā€œsinglesā€ and I even have my therapist looking for insects herself. Once she asked me if I saw the cockroach on the steps and I told her I already have several species pinned. I have an entomology cabinet with 6 drawers and a tray drawer all filling up quickly. They are labeled and will be passed down to any interested grandchildren. Knowing our 4 daughters, I really donā€™t think our daughters would want the collection, and Iā€™ll give our 2 granddaughters first choice, then the 5 grandsons. If no one is interested, Iā€™ll find a school or university that may want the collection. Iā€™m not doing all this for nothing. Iā€™m learning more all the time and never plan to stop researching! The more I learn, the further in depth I want to explore! Not many people consider insects anything except a nuisance. I find them interesting, their colors and shapes are amazing! I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever get tired of finding more! šŸŖ²:spider::beetle::bug:

And that concludes another post thatā€™s longer than I expected!:nerd_face: -Cathy

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.