Rampant guessing of IDs

You asked me about why not use the Withdraw button.

I believe this often happens because the iOS app does not even have an Withdraw button. Then, too, it is not very obvious on the website either nor is its usage explained with a tooltip. I don’t know about the Android implementation.

5 Likes

Ah sorry, that question was meant for @dcvmnaturalist really.
But yes, the complete absence of a withdraw button on iOS is doubtless another sizeable contributor to the OP’s concerns …and one would think a relatively easy thing to fix.

I put in a feature request for it, but it was rejected as " “Feature parity with Android” is already planned for future iOS development".

I flagged it on this thread though at least… it should be a priority to fix in my opinion.

3 Likes

This is exactly right but i will also say that over the last few years things have shifted and the bizarre and frustrating hostility towards iNat has decreased, at least in my area. Of course in areas where it gets less use that will vary too. As you say it is a joint field notebook not a herbarium or someone’s PhD dissertation. I also believe some experts are just afraid to state their own IDs because they too are often wrong about IDs. Things are changing, but it is too slow a process and annoys the heck out of me too

9 Likes

Or (for taxa above species) people who know well how to identify a few very common species within that taxon, but are as clueless as you about 99% of them.

4 Likes

At least, the CV recognized it as bird. Very recently, the CV identified a feather in North America as European moth. In most cases the CV is not that bad and I’m surprised how often even the species is right. It really improved over the years.

3 Likes

I tend to use the CV on iNat quite a bit for plants, which I’m not very good at IDing. I’ve also started double-checking the plant ID provided by iNat with an ID provided by an app on my iPhone called PictureThis (which has been discussed elsewhere in the Forum). The app is pretty decent and I’ve used it even on an image of a plant on my computer screen. If the two CVs agree, I then double-check that ID against records on iNat and in other references I have for my area. Generally, this has worked pretty well and I make fewer bone-headed botanical mistakes.

8 Likes

Yes, I’ve gotten that response to iNat iOS suggestions, too. In fact, for over a year - maybe two years.
Even the very simplest of tasks gets that: please put a link to inaturalist.org on the iOS app menu.

There’s many functions missing in the iOS app, and those functions need to be done on the website. But, there is no link on the main pages in the iOS app. So, people don’t even know there is a website available nor have an efficient way to get to it.

without ToolTips explaining the buttons, especially, Agree Button, or including a Withdraw button, we all just have to allow there will be lots of ~innocent~ errors (so-called) made.

7 Likes

iNaturalist newby here. I’m a bit confused - if someone makes an ID and I look at my reference guides and “agree” with it, doesn’t that automatically withdraw an original ID if I made one? Or should I “withdraw” and then agree and what is the difference?

2 Likes

If you do your own research and think id is correct you can just add it (doesn’t matter if you withdraw your first id or just add a new one).

1 Like

Welcome. Yes, if you agree with someone or add a different ID from what you originally posted, it just updates, No need to withdraw earlier ID.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. No need to withdraw as a separate step. Adding a new ID (whether by “agree” or some other pathway) always withdraws any previous ID you added to the observation.

Welcome to the Forum!

2 Likes

The issue is that agreement from two people without conflicting IDs makes an observation “Research Grade” which is the point at which it gets sent to GBIF and becomes a datapoint. There are different points of view around the weight this should or should not have, but typically I would say the etiquette amongst more experienced users would be to withdraw (or only agree if they can independently verify).

This creates a paradox in the system where, for example one cannot get more complex taxa seconded due to there being limited global expertise or accessible literature to independently verify. Whilst meanwhile newer users will not know how complex it might be to identify said taxa and will usually second the ID without realising implication.

Adding incorrect datapoints to GBIF impacts the perception of iNaturalist externally, at times limiting expert interest and creating a vicious circle. Whilst regularly misidentified taxa also create a sort of confirmation bias in the system and can become problematic for identifiers to fix.

1 Like

What withdraw button? 1 click on
Agree and I draw a line through my incorrect ID and simultaneously agree with their ID.

By correct info I mean if I submit an ID, someone disagrees and submits a different ID and I research it and see that they’re actually right then I would agree with them.

1 Like

This:

1 Like

That’s not on the app.

1 Like

Yes, still not in iOs app.

Ok, but why are people use app primarly at all, I know with Apple it’s connected with how links and other things are not added, so people are unaware, but other than that, website will always be much better and easier?

2 Likes

A few posts above, someone said by tapping Agree it withdraws the original ID. Why do extra steps?

I could see using that if I submit an ID but later think I’m wrong and idk what it is then I would want to withdraw my ID.

Edit: IMO the app is way better and easier than the website. I only use the website when I want to submit audio or something after the fact when the only location record I have is GPS coordinates (like a White-faced Storm Petrel 80 miles offshore).

2 Likes

Because without research you can’t just hit agree, it’s a button not for agreeing, but for faster adding an id you’re sure in, every ider knows that people are hitting agree blindly in most cases; plus it changes community taxon while you’re doing your own research, allowing experts in taxon to see your observation faster.

2 Likes

I understand. That’s why I said if someone disagrees with my ID and I look into it and discover that I actually think they’re correct I hit Agree.

2 Likes

Oh, I answered it’s okay as long as you actually research it, it’s cool and a good practice overall, though a little bit of caution never hurts. It’s just your sentence about correct info could be interpreted differently, so @sbushes asked you. Withdraw button is very important for many reasons.

1 Like