Random Nature Encounters and Stories

Yes I see, why was it deleted?

So I am currently stuck at home with Covid, and the only place that I am technically allowed to go in order to make observation is my backyard.
Yesterday, I was sitting on a large pot in front of a raised garden bed, trying to catch fast-moving mites, when I managed to fall backwards onto a metal trellis. What I didn’t realize until nearly ten minutes later, was that my phone was still in the back pocket of my jeans when I fell.

I took the phone out of my pocket, put the macro lens clip onto it, when I went to turn the phone on, I realized that the screen protector had been shattered…

Have I learned my lesson, and will I stop sitting like that, or in other potentially precarious ways? No, probably not.

6 Likes

I’m sorry you got Covid ? How are you doing with it? Are you okay after the fall?

What kind of mites? I was doing a lot of backyard observing, and got a bunch of what I suspect are oak leaf itch mites bites.

(Btw, I am in the same situation - day 12, home iso - mild symptoms)

2 Likes

Pretty well, technically this is my last day in quarantine (I hope) and yeah, I am, my phone, no so much.
I think they were just the same acariformes as I usually make observations of, but they were light yellow-orange, I haven’t been able to find them again though.

2 Likes

This is a very interesting thread. Thank you for suggesting it.
Once I was on an island trying to capture a decent photo of the Sooty Falcon. These beautiful raptors breed in autumn because it coincides with the migration of small passerine birds coming on the same route. I was quiet in my photo hide when a beautiful Isabelline Wheatear came right on the top of my head. The poor small bird took refuge and was very satisfied on my head for about 40 minutes. I felt so happy and privileged.

10 Likes

I have a crack in my screen from dropping my phone only about 3 feet above my stone driveway, which I dropped because I was taking a photo of an invasive orchid (broad-leaved helleborine), so I feel your pain.

2 Likes

This is amazing

2 Likes

I got my phone stuck in a pine tree at a local park a couple months ago because my hand jerked really hard as a result/reaction to being both stung and bit by a little wasp thing that I was trying to take a picture of. (it was on my forefinger)

2 Likes

I’ve finally made an observation for the raccoon which includes an additional photo and a little more background information (I stress little). You can view it here: https://inaturalist.ca/observations/121509785

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a photo but I saw a red fox on my way home from work today. This is the first time I’ve seen one in years! I don’t see them often but every time I do I fall in love with them all over again. I love foxes!

4 Likes

Sounds like it did its job…after all, better the protector than the screen itself.
I’ve repeatedly broken my tempered glass screen protector…but thanks to that, the actual screen has survived.
Luckily, my screen protector has a lifetime warranty, so each time I break it I just have to pay shipping & handling on the replacement protector.

2 Likes

Foxes are always amazing sight to see. So far, I’ve only seen them on three occasions.

2 Likes

Mine doesn’t, and I broke it again a few days ago.

1 Like

Still, better the screen protector than the screen itself.

true.

1 Like

I was out birding and I heard a rustling. Suddenly, and ENTIRE HERD of Elk came through just 3 feet from me. I backed up slowly and was glad I did when a huge bull elk, who was at the back of the herd, stopped, stomped, blew out air and stared in my direction. By then, I was about twenty feet back and still backing up. I can only imagine what would’ve happened if I had just stood as close as I had been.

4 Likes

Here in my area I only have gray foxes. I’ve only seen them twice, although they are common they are pretty shy.

1 Like

I have witnessed a blue jay or some sort of carnivorous bird snag an angry hummingbird and stab on a branch. It is not a Shrike, something a jay. I’ve also seen a red-tailed hawk eat a snake in my backyard. Also, A Common Grackle snatch a House Sparrow near my bird feeder. I’ve also seen the same with a cooper’s hawk in my backyard. Seen an Owl taking a rat to its nest. Those are the main ones

3 Likes

Mine was always I forgot the SD card in the reader on my desk.

Until I started to always carry a spare in my wallet.

2 Likes

Shrikes are the only birds that use branches that way.

1 Like