Second-rate species?

*non-avian dinosaurs

(My pedantry is hilarious to ME, probably no one else)

5 Likes

If things without common names are second-rate, what about things without scientific names? There is a bug I find regularly in my area which only has a genus name as it is undescribed at present. Sample observation from just a couple of days ago:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/196182979
Is it third-rate?

3 Likes

The Amorphous Amorbus

3 Likes

Funny how, like in your example, common names are sometimes more stable than scientific names.

A decent amount of neotropical birds have Latin names as their common names because they ran out of similar birds to compare them to, or didnā€™t want to add yet another genus of just ā€œflycatchersā€. E.g. euphonias, elaenias, saltatorsā€¦

5 Likes

No, no; two serious armchair paleontologists in this household. Weā€™ve gotten a lot of giggles out of peopleā€™s reactions when taking the nephling to the grocery and them repeatedly asking ā€œweā€™re getting dinosaur for dinner, right?ā€

3 Likes

Not a problem - I could buy dinosaur noodles.
But Iā€™m vegetarian.

Dinosaur names are acceptable cos theyā€™re learnt by kids who are too young to realise that they canā€™t handle Latin names.
Itā€™s only after they grow up and are told that Latin names are too difficult that it becomes a problem.

Gardeners manage fine.

Iā€™ve always been told that [insert taxonomic group here] will never become popular until they are all given English names. But football seems to have caught on without all the players getting English names. (For the benefit of any Americans reading this, Iā€™m talking about proper football here!).

7 Likes

Ouch. And stated during the NFL playoffs, no less, the most wonderful time of the year. But point taken. American football was never properly named as a sport. Shouldā€™ve been American rugby.

2 Likes

What class is Bos taurus then?

Language / Type Name
English Domestic Cattle
English Domestic Cow
English Cow
English Bull
English Ox
English Steer
English Dairy Cow
English Beef Cattle
English Feral Cattle
English Wild Cattle
English Long horn
English Taurine Cattle
English Bullock
English Heifer
English Heck Cattle
English Hereford
English Scottish cattle
English European Cattle
English Cattle
English Highland
1 Like

Very popular food?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.