Surprised to find photos I placed on iNat in the new Audubon mushroom guide

No disrespect to the professional photographers who are upset, but I’m rather disappointed that none of mine were considered good enough.

15 Likes

Is there a Luke mentioned in the photo credits?

You can check using the link posted above:

i tried to extract the names from the photo credits pages of the book preview, but the image to text extractor tool in PowerTools is getting the names right only about 80% of the time. so it’s gong to be sort of a hassle to try to get the name list and do the matching myself, but i think if the publisher knows there’s potentially a problem with their photo licensing process, they will probably task someone to look through the list to vet the licenses and contact folks whose photos may be used improperly.

4 Likes

With CC-BY, does the specific photo (creative work) need attribution on it? Or is it okay for them to just list all the artist at the end on one page, but not provide a way to know which specific photos came from which artists?

3 Likes

Is it only on web? From my mobile the only photo i get is the title page. Ive scrolled a few times assuming Im missing something and I dont see a book preview.

I see someone else checked for my names though, thank you.

1 Like

I have tree guide - here is the photocredit page from the back, if anyone wants to glance at it

11 Likes

good ol’ 4028mdk09

14 Likes

Like….do they even check the images used? If they cant find a name to credit…i guess im confused and wondering “outloud” so to speak. … if they can get copyright wrong, cant even be arsed to find a photographers name, how do we know or have any confidence the guide is even…correct?

10 Likes

sounds like a good question to ask in some online book reviews.

it might be just web. is the link opening in an Amazon app? (if so, can you try forcing it to open in your browser?)

3 Likes

Not able to see any other photos except that one as well.

1 Like

I dont have the amazon ap, im looking at the amazon link in safari on my mobile.

oh… ok. i just tried on my phone. i can’t get the sample of the book to show up. i guess it’s only available for desktop machines.

2 Likes

@marykrieger your name is in the book as well.

Sample pages are each carefully labelled

Copyright material

(typical scraper behaviour ;~)) I stole it, but you may not!

11 Likes

a couple of other names from this list who from looking at one obs have CC-BY-NC or more restrictive licenses: @choess, judygva (not on forum, iNat username), southern_red_oak (iNat), mongo (iNat), patrice78500 (iNat)

from the mushroom guide (don’t know if you also post to Mushroom Oserver, so might be from there): alonsocortsprez (iNat), @adamarendell, adambryant (iNat), aldendirks (iNat), algirdas (iNat), alok (iNat), @zharkikh, bborgmannwinter (iNat)

also the late Greg Lasley (greglasley on iNat) in the bird guide

Edit: switching to @cthawley’s google sheet linked here

3 Likes

Not from here on iNat AFAIK, but Ive had bad faith abuses of CC-BY-NC Licenses on my photos from other sources. That’s why I removed all CC licenses on my photos elsewhere.

If I find my CC-NY-NC license being abused for photos I upload to iNat, I would have to revert to All Rights Reserved here, as well. I hope that doesn’t ebcome necessary.

yikes. if there’s a problem in these guides, too, then i wonder if there’s a problem in all the revamped guides? i think there were supposed to be something like 11 in total. interestingly, one of Fieldstone’s services on their website seems to be “content licensing”. so i wonder if scope of the potential problem goes beyond even these guides?

i wonder if National Audubon and Fieldstone would respond if someone pinged their social media feeds and directed them to this discussion?

6 Likes

So I’m kind of bored and procrastinating, so I’m trying to manually go through and see if I can find any photos in this guide that were scraped from inat - some of these species have SO MUCH to go through its going to be difficult without like, tineye.

But let’s see. Because now I’m REAL curious

1 Like

I made a Google sheet with info if anyone wants to crowdsource figuring it out - should be open to edit by anyone. Can fill out partial info, even if it’s just the username (since most folks might not be able to find the specific page numbers in the guides if they don’t have them…):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_sDtWJiEXK4mGueZgG_o-d3mUBKL9ZtvenqDz8A9ATY/edit?usp=sharing

12 Likes