The disconnect of seeking respite in nature

You may find it interesting that the presence of nonnative bushes (especially variegated ones) generally tended to severely worsen my mood even back in the days when I was unfluent in botany. They seemed very boring/depressing because they never visibly did much and were largely ignored by insects.

(Nowadays I still dislike their nonnativeness and frequent failure to support (native) insects of course, but after reading about the fascinating adaptions they had in their original habitats I softened on them and now like them somewhat. If given a choice between standing in a perfectly blank room and a blank room with a non-native plant in it, nowadays I’d choose the latter. However, this slight preference does not translate into any noticeable improvement in my psychological health; this is is contrast to articles I’ve read of people-who-aren’t-the-oversentimental-treehugger type still experiencing massive and obvious relief from the symptoms of, for example, depression after “spending time in nature”. And native plants/animals do not noticeably improve my mental health under normal circumstances either.)