Top Observed Species on iNaturalist: Which ones have you not seen?

ive never seen a tufted titmouse!! supposedly common backyard birds, but not for me apparently :( someday!

For me in South Florida it would probably be Osprey or Red Shouldered Hawk, I’ve seen Ospreys at the beach but never be able to get a photo.

Racoons for sure too, never had my camera or phone when I see them

1 Like

Weird, I live in Minnesota and have observations of all 3 of those!

There are supposedly rabbits in the Shakespeare Garden of Central Park, but I have only seen rats there.

Also I really want to see an Italian Wall Lizard, which is an introduced species that is present in a few different parks in NYC, but I have not yet visited the places where they occur and are relatively common.

I think they like Romerillo, from what I’ve seen.

I merged the new topic to this existing one.

1 Like

Seen everything in the global top 50 apart from 2: common eastern bumblebee, and common garter snake. Extending that for the top 100 adds another “miss”, which is common box turtle. By the time it goes to the top 200, a further “miss” is eastern chipmunk.

Naturally, these are all eastern US species. A part of the country I have not been in very much. If it wasn’t for my week in Virginia last year, I’d be missing a good 30-40 more of these in the top 200.

(Admittedly the global top 50 is basically just the US top 50…it doesn’t start showing European species or other international ones until beyond that point. So it’s quite biased against anyone who isn’t in America).

2 Likes

I’m honestly surprised how many of the top species I have seen before. For things I have seen, the first on the list I have yet to spot in person is the brown anole. As far as observations go, the infamous mallard remains unobserved on iNat for me – I mostly photograph bugs, anyways, and I feel like there’s probably plenty enough data about ducks out there already :)

Well, there’re 21 species that can be found in Europe plus one garden plant that probably can escape in first 50 globally, so it’s not as bad because of global species and introduced to US species, but if we talk about other regions, it’s much worse.

This year’s solution is to complate this list (4/45 now)

I’m also trying to get a photo of a Ditch Jewel, which I have suspected to appear around the local lake, but yes net or no net, there’s no photo.

@lucaspigeon @gatorhawk Welcome to the forum! Always lots of interesting discussions.

I have not seen:
#16 Common Yarrow Achillea millefolium
#26 Western Fence Lizard Sceloporus occidentalis
#33 Cabbage White Pieris rapae
#35 Garlic Mustard Alliaria petiolata
#36 Mule Deer Odocoileus hemionus
#46 Great Mullein Verbascum thapsus
#48 Ground-Ivy Glechoma hederacea
#49 Common Milkweed Asclepias syriaca

1 Like

In the top 100 observations, I’ve only seen the grey heron, pond slider, painted lady, seven-spotted ladybird, rock pigeon, European honeybee, mallard and the house sparrow

Perhaps it’s because I live so far away from all these other species

Checking the current top 50 for Canada, I discovered I am missing two: Asian Lady Beetle, which is #25 (and an inexplicable gap in my list!); and Western Sword Fern, which is #39 but only occurs in British Columbia. Going further down to the top 100, there are nine more to add. Four of those (Salal, Common Douglas-Fir, Eastern Red-backed Salamander, White Trillium) are not found in my area - road trip required. The five in range would be Common Bracken, Red Elderberry, Common Buckthorn, Turkey-Tail, and Saskatoon Berry.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Trumpeter Swan is now #50 on Canada’s most-reported iNat list. Trumpeters were once endangered, but have rebounded spectacularly thanks to concerted conservation efforts. The first 2022 spring migrants should be appearing here any day now.

1 Like

Nice, will try this

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.