Track and mark identifications made through "Agree?" buttons

It should provide all the same benefits provided by the icon that shows that an ID was picked from the list generated by the computer vision thingy, namely making it much easier to tell whether an identification should be double-checked or not. Note that the computer vision icon also comes with no information about the motivation behind its use.

To a certain extent, that is a desired outcome of this change. However, there are several different places where there are “Agree?” buttons. The worst one is on the identification thumbnails page, where you can’t see if an observation has more photos, or comments, or see the location and date of the observation before you click the button. I suspect you are using one of the other ones. I would vote for removing the worst one if that topic were a feature request.

I’m unfamiliar with the apps, so there may be some “Agree?” buttons there which are getting frequently misused, as well. The point is, we don’t know, so it would be good to track their use.

Yeah, that’s why I asked. I’m always double-checking IDs regardless, because I know that Computer Vision gets used in lots of different ways, some better than others, and IDs without Computer Vision aren’t necessarily any better on average. It would be likewise with Agrees.

And I do agree that the agree button on ID thumbnails needs to be re-thought, for sure.

2 Likes

So I’m puzzled. How do you enter an ID without selecting it from CV? I mean, you can’t just type an ID in - you have to pick it from the list, which is generated by CV, no? Do you type in a bit and then select it? Does that bypass the CV icon? What if I put my cursor in the ID field and CV pops up with the right ID, right on top? If I choose it, do I get the icon? If I look down the list and then choose the top one? If I just don’t choose the top one? I don’t mind getting the icon when I’m really “being bold” and having a guess, but on the occasions when I actually do know the correct ID I’d prefer that it not be flagged :-)

1 Like

As soon as you type something, you’re searching the complete list of taxon names and common names. So the list that’s generated when you type nothing is a list of suggestions from CV, and the list that’s generated when you type anything is search results, thus not CV. I think if you submit what you typed without clicking a result, it’s entered as a placeholder.

There’s also the Suggestions tab of the identify modal. I’m pretty sure selecting one of those counts as using CV.

3 Likes

Hey, don’t know if you were a google group user but this was discussed a bit here and may be interesting to you:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/inaturalist/xgx2tErzBqo/AdUW3DLLEgAJ

:)

2 Likes

[off-topic] For those of us who came on board in the “post-Google group” era, links back to the Google group produce the message “This group either doesn’t exist, or you don’t have permission to access it. If you’re sure this group exists, contact the Owner of the group and ask them to give you access.”

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know

2 Likes

Google just updated Google Groups which might have caused this. I futzed with some settings and I think you should be able to see it now (it worked for me if I was signed out of Google in my browser). If it’s not working, can you please direct message me so we don’t derail this topic?

1 Like