User downgrading my IDs unnecessarily

On Unknowns also, where one identifier has picked an organism in the photo from one Kingdom, she follows along and adds something from a different Kingdom, again kicking it into “State of Matter Life” https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/24103062. If this is okay in the rules, then I think the rules should be changed.

my guess based on all of this is she is using the app to ID stuff or something else like that where she isn’t getting messages nor is actually seeing responses to her IDs. Maybe we should disable ID in the app until we can get it working well enough to solve these problems. Seems unlikely to happen but would be nice.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that on the app one doesn’t get messages or see responses to their IDs. Is one also unable to see previous IDs on an observation? Why does the app even have an ID capability then?

it gives you some notifications but i don’t think you can see messages. I think you are only notified for activity on your own observations. I agree it’s problematic but i also know there are planned upgrades to the app mentioned in another thread so hopefully it gets fixed one way or another.

4 Likes

if she had an observation we could hypothetically contact her that way but she doesn’t

It’s strange, but if you click on Observations 0, there actually is one observation. https://www.inaturalist.org/people/julie253

I made a post on it… worth a try at least.

1 Like

Thank you, charlie, for that and for your help on the examples I gave.

1 Like

to be fair i am not certain that’s what is happening. It just fits the pattern of not really seeing comments or replying to things.

1 Like

I looked at the iPhone app, and it doesn’t look like you can add an ID to someone else’s observation without clicking on 3 dots on one page to get to a page that has the IDs others have made, so I don’t think the app is to blame for someone not considering the previous IDs.

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen too in the past and it is the main reason that I opted-out of Community ID.

Some of the times this has happened I’ve been able to figure out the person doing so was assigned a class project where they had to do X number of observations and identifications.

For schools I really wish there were an iNat Lite where students that don’t care can’t muck-up the site for others. This would also be nice for all those field trips to same park that 30 students a day photograph the same exact captive cactus.

3 Likes

Seek is intended to be that app. How to steer school teachers heading out on field trips with 30 students to Seek is perhaps the remaining challenge.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.