Watch out for incorrect use of "Location is Inaccurate"

with an (automatic?) alert to the observer would be accurate and effective.
There have been a number of situations in which a correctly mapped obs of mine got moved into another hemisphere through an error linked to correcting Locality name or accuracy. I am not sure how it happens, but without me intending to change any coordinates, the coords change wildly during the editing, and if I dont notice it that obs gets lost. It is to do with how, or the order in which, I move the mouse between fields in the Location panel before pressing Apply.

Yes, that has always been my understanding. If I observed it in a field then took it, or, a bit of it, home to photograph, the location is the field, right? And I note that any microscopy photography was done at home.
Usually I have at least one photo of the plant in situ as well, but occasionally those images have been unusable and only the close up images get posted.

That is equivalent to a Herbarium specimen, which documents most importantly the location at which the specimen was found, not the location of identification, filing and storage.

4 Likes

I would suggest that the title of this topic be changed to include “not wild.” There is an interesting discussion about it here, but I don’t think it would be very searchable under the current title. Maybe something like “Incorrect use of 'Location is Inaccurate” and ‘Not wild’?"

2 Likes

Yes, I aologize for my responses to this aspect of comments, which are off topic here. Probably best not to include “not wild” in this thread title though, as the wild/cultivated debate is a huge and ongoing one with, I believe, no solution in sight for the separation of the many different categories of wildness in plants, and other issues.

However the issue of incorrectly flagging other people’s obs as not wild is perhaps part of this discussion?

I’m just interested in being able to easily find the topic later–I wasn’t trying to be critical. Sometimes I remember that there was a discussion about something, but I don’t remember what the consensus or conclusion was.

2 Likes

Yes thanks paloma, I realized that. But I wanted to acknowledge it for others who might be more critical of the off-topic thing:)
I don’t know if I have seen a thread specifically on the issue of plant specimens moved for closer observation and hotography.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.