"We want Your money" -messages from iNaturalist

In the sixities the government was paying but nowadays in the Netherlands much is project based so one can only be sure about funds for a few years.
Serveral sites, also scandanavin ones if i remember well, have disappeard are changed funding. I know a huge biodiversity site which is chaning from one governmental, provincial, NoN Profit NGO to another but probably goes well funded if everything goes public after their commercial abonnement system failed. There is enough public need but not enough public money. As tax rates go down for companies companies are getting more environmental and society aware (I hope, poldermodel).

I thought CalCal (California Science??) lost a lot of its budget last years.

May be off topic, but sending emails and updates is expensive ?
And following people to ? I am thinking of unsubscribing taxons and places.

That may be why you post observations but it’s an aspect of iNaturalist that is incidental to its main purpose. The clearly stated mission of iNaturalist is to promote learning about and understanding of biodiversity. If that’s not something you want to support financially then don’t support it financially. It’s a non-profit seeking support to sustain its unanticipated rapid growth and failing to reach out to its user base would be foolish.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.