Weird nature habits?

Trying to photograph an UNwilling stick insect yesterday.

I don’t want to EAT you, I just want a photo.

4 Likes

We had a wasp nest in the hollow support bar of an awning that rolls up & down as needed. I always announced to them I was there and talked soothingly as I rolled the canopy up or down. I was never stung, unlike my hubby who just abruptly rolls without the polite niceties they prefer. He was stung twice this year.

7 Likes

Every bird species at our feeder gets a standard greeting for their species. (Hello, chickadee-dee-dee!) They “know” who they are and will hang out at the feeder when I’m near. When others approach, they are off like a shot!

3 Likes

I like telling crows that I’m not going to kill them as they start to hop away if you stare at them longer than 2 secs. I’m your friend, where are you going?

4 Likes

Even completely excessive calling is a drop in the bucket compared to the hardships these creatures face due to the continuous losses of habit and light/noise pollution, give yourself a break.

1 Like

When I have a bird that “behaves” and remains perched for an extended amount of time for photos, I always make sure to tell them that they look very nice in the photo and then thank you and “bye bye” when they fly away.

I feel very honored when certain birds will kindof “follow” us, especially on public trails.

5 Likes

Honestly I avoid disturbing wildlife more for my own purposes; first because I really enjoy observing behavior when wildlife is completely undisturbed (often if they notice your presence it will take several minutes for them to resume behaviors normally if at all), and it just brings me satisfaction knowing I didn’t bother them. I do care about their welfare but also understand by spooking sparrows off the trails or imitating a bird to pique it’s curiosity I am doing pretty minimal harm in the grand scheme of things, unless it is an individual repeatedly exposed to this behavior.

But yeah, I could probably imitate every bird I hear and cause less than a fraction of a percent of the impacts you mentioned.

1 Like

If somebody is walking with me, I have a habit of naming species, in the middle of the conversation! It’s a joke among my friends that I’m the worst person to go on a walk with outdoors.

6 Likes

I would argue you are the best person to go on a walk with outdoors.

7 Likes

I was the classic dawdling naturalist on a group hike last week. While everyone else was moving at a good pace to complete the hike, I was meandering off trail 100 yards behind or laying on the ground getting a picture. I think I alarmed some of them when I was kicking around among the boulders trying to stir up a rattlesnake. I might not get invited back.

Added: In retrospect, none of that is weird in this group.

12 Likes

Rattlesnake stirring up - needs to be agreed on BEFORE you start. (I wonder what that sounds like?)

3 Likes

Not so much on public trails (where it would be pretty pointless), but if I see a long spider web support line, I avoid walking through it. I just can’t imagine the effort (and luck) it took to create those things.

2 Likes

Some people would think it is wierd that if an insect lands on me, I often let it stay rather than immediately brushing it off. Unless it’s a deer fly.

5 Likes

The other day I let some Lipoptena do that, not yet knowing the species. I learned my lesson the hard way.

2 Likes

I’m excited to see wasps and actually try to get closer to them

2 Likes

I actually do the same things if I have a camera, but I’m not excited to see a wasp XD
but yeah, relatable.

Edit: Love your art btw

1 Like

Thanks :) It would be nice if it wasn’t so damn hard to actually get close to wasps for nice photos! Certainly not a common complaint :p

2 Likes

You can find ways

5 Likes

Whenever I come across cuttlefish, especially broadclub cuttlefish, I try and communicate with them using my hand. I mimic the movement of their arms with my fingers. I have absolutely no idea what they make of this. Cuttlefish will often raise two arms above their head in what I think is a defensive posture when I get close. You can see this here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/54588390 and here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/62179070

I also rub my thumb against my fingers when close to octopus or eels, sometimes they seem to find this intriguing.

6 Likes