What can iNaturalist community do for our fellow naturalists in Ukraine?

Yeah, Poland seems to be OK, though it’s got the Russian exclave and its puppet state right on its border. bądźcie silni, chłopaki

2 Likes

Here is the NPR article regarding aid to Ukraine I was referencing in an earlier post. I trust NPR to have vetted its choices of organizations. Perhaps it will be helpful to all. I know we wish we could do more.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/25/1082992947/ukraine-support-help

2 Likes

UNICEF, Medicins Sans Frontieres are reliable, and not too bureaucratic. When proceeding to a donate page, make sure you are always seeing the padlock or key symbol in the address windows of the page. Days later, be aware of possible scam or phishing emails asking to confirm, or enter other personal info. Slightly misspelled site name or the absence of the padlock symbol should tip you off to danger.
Other organizations on the NPR list did NOT earn impressive efficiency marks with crowd-sourced ratings.

5 Likes

Thank you. That is helpful. I appreciate the additional information. Do you know of an organization that helps with pets as well? I know people are struggling to bring pets across borders, and I am certain some are left behind. I had someone ask me, but I don’t know of a particular organization. I also assume iNatters might find such an organization useful to know about. :)

5 Likes

Four Paws is active internationally.

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Concerning help for pets, some information is here: https://www.facebook.com/michel.selmer/posts/5696872567007229
Unfortunately I do not have any first hand info so far.

4 Likes

PS: As far as I know, Poland is accepting refugees’ pets even without a pet passport. Dzięki Polsko!

5 Likes

Polish government is loosening some restrictions regarding transport of pets from Ukraine to Poland.
There is an FB group for organizing transport for pets: Ukr/Pl

https://www.facebook.com/groups/976873776134238/

I see that some people are even transporting animals to various orgs from Ukraine to Poland by themselves.

Some details for temporary procedures: they might change, but definitely people should take their pets with them. They could be vaccinated and on the border and people are looking for workararounds in cases that border guards don’t let them in.
Other languages in the link:
https://www.wetgiw.gov.pl/main/aktualnosci/Tymczasowa-procedura-przemieszczania-zwierzat-towarzyszacych-z-terytorium-Ukrainy-na-teren-Polski-przez-osoby-nie-posiadajace-kompletu-dokumentow-weterynaryjnych-dla-psow-kotow-i-fretek/idn:1999

4 Likes

Thank you for this. Please take care. I hope for peace, freedom, and safety for all Ukrainians, as I’m sure we all do here.

5 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

But, I don’t see anyone lying here. And, if a person isn’t contributing to the forum, we cannot know what they believe or support. I am for truth and fact in all situations (heaven knows the US has been having a hard time sorting out facts for ourselves). So, yes, we need to be clear about information, but I think you might be arguing with people who agree with you.

3 Likes

@tiwane please intervene, some elaborate offences here, don’t think anyone ever tried so hard to say anything about me.

17 Likes

This topic is getting pretty heated, I’m going to close it for 24 hours.

9 Likes

Hi folks,

As this topic gets close to re-opening, the moderators just want to note some simple ground rules to keep it that way.

Normally we moderate with a pretty light hand here, but given the volatility of issues around this topic, we need to be a little more strict if this topic is to stay open.

• Posts that do not directly address the topic, “What can iNaturalist community do for our fellow naturalists in Ukraine,” will be flagged and hidden.
  • Anyone who has such posts still visible here is kindly asked to remove them yourself ASAP, to avoid being flagged. (But moderators and staff still reserve that right if needed.)
  • If you see a post that is off-topic or violates another forum guidelines, please flag it rather than engaging with it and bringing the conversation off track again.
  • We’ll close the topic permanently it continues to be a source of violations.

To anyone who might see the above as an infringement on free speech, a simple reminder that the iNaturalist Forum is not a free speech platform. It is a forum to discuss iNaturalist (and closely related topics), report bugs, and suggest improvements. Full stop. There are plenty of other public fora where we can air our opinions on the situation in Ukraine.

Finally, since it has reared its head here, a reminder of iNaturalist’s definition of “Hate Speech,” which is grounds for immediate suspension from both the Forum and from iNaturalist itself:

Hate speech is content consciously designed to attack people based on age, race, gender, sexual orientation, income, physical ability, country of origin, religion, educational background, or any other attribute that people are unable to control.

(emphasis added)

Thank you for your understanding as this topic re-opens.

24 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 24 hours.

Maybe there’s a payment platform that can be used for direct money donations to active and known inat members in Ukraine. For example, sending a code through iNat PM.

2 Likes

I can’t stop looking at this. It’s incredible. Do you happen to have any information about the collection or J. A. Morden?

4 Likes

I agree. And that is all I will say right now.

2 Likes